Help with Pixelating pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GeeJay, Mar 21, 2005.

1. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    I have been trying to stop my pixelating problem for hours. I take picture fron Nikon View to Capture.. work on it and when I save it to TIFF I uncheck the embedded color square.. then I go to PS....and there I try to crop it...but at this point I'm stymied... I can't see how to change Adobe RGB to sRGB either in Capture or in PS and the cropping is hard to do in PS....

Is it possible to crop it in Capture in inches after I have saved it as TIFF... and can I change the AdobeRGB to sRGB in Capture...

Big question is would this make the pixel problem in my picture not occur?

You can see how darn confused I am.

Here's the picture that has the pixel problem.

Thanks,

Gaye

[​IMG]

2. Gaye, were it me I would do all those changes in PS. First of all to change an embeded color; e.g., Adobe RGB to sRGB, you do the following after your picture has been displayed in PS:
    1. On the top tool bar click on Image
    2. Click on Mode
    3. Click on Convert
    4. Select the color mode you want to convert to; e.g., sRGB
    5. Click on OK
    Now for the second part of your question you can size the image in pixels or inches in PS and it is fairly simple.
    1. To size your TIFF in inches, select the crop tool from the toolbar on the left hand side
    2. Enter the size of your crop and the DPI quality in the boxes provided; e.g., 4x6 in. and 300 DPI
    3. Click in the image and pull the crop tool across and down on your image until you have the crop that you want.
    4. Hit enter on your keyboard

To crop the image by pixel size you need to step it down in percentages until you get near the size that you want.
    1. Click on Image then Image Size
    2. Enter a percentage that will get you close to the image size that you want.
    3. Select the Marquis tool from the toolbar
    4. Enter the final pixel dimensions in the boxes provided; e.g., 900 x 600
    5. Crop image accordingly with the marquis tool
    3. Click on Image then crop on top toolbar

When you have finished manipulating your image
    1. Click on file
    2. Click on Save As
    3. Enter JPEG in appropriate space and then select where you want the image filed
    4. Click on Save
    5. Enter the quality that you want the image saved as; e.g., 10

One last thing, I do all my pixel sizing in PS using one of Fred Miranda's sizing algorithm's called WP Pro. This plug in is simple and fast to use and the cost is very low. It also does it in steps that eliminates pixelization.

3. Gordon - is it the resizing that is causing the pixelation? I have made significant size changes without this problem.

Gale - are you saving from capture as a 16 bit TIF? If not, then try that. Also, extreme guassian blur or saturation can cause pixelation or banding.

4. I use the FM plug in because it does the sizing in steps that keeps pixelization from occuring. Also, I always make the final save in sRGB at 8 bits before saving as a JPEG. I do that because printers accept that readily where they don't always accept Adobe RGB 16 bit images and if you give them that they do the conversion. If I understand Gaye correctly, she does some initial processing in Nikon Capture which is appropriate in my opinion and then saves her image as a TIFF. She then opens the TIFF in PS. By the way, I agree with you Rory, she should be saving her TIFF as a 16 bit image.

5. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Gaye, what are the settings of the crop tool you use? Does pixelation starts after crop?

6. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gordon,
    I just did your process and I think it worked. I'll post the picture now.
    When I went to crop by pixel size I had trouble using the Marquis tool and couldn't find the dimension boxes..so I went to Image>resize and changed it to 900-600 pixels there... then I saved it and entered quality 10. I had never used 10 before because didn't know to do that...but this picture does not have the pixel problem...but it does have the white around it where I did something to the crop to make that happen..that's another mystery for me.

Thanks ever so much for all the help with this. You helped before and I have been trying to follow those instructions..but got more confused as time went on.........this detailed process is great and I'm sure will help others too.

I am not sure how this picture will come out until I post it.. :lol:

Gaye

17980234-L.

7. Gaye I am always glad to help if I can. Your image is much better than the first one. I don't know how you got the white bands on the side so I can't help you there. I really would look into the Fred Miranda software plug in for sizing. I think it cost something like $12 and is so simple to use in Photoshop. It is also a big time saver and does a much better job than I used to do myself. You really are supposed to step the up or down sizing in steps and not all at once. Ron Reznik spells that out pretty clearly in his E book. With the plug in it does it for you.

8. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,
    Thanks very much! I will check into that plug in from Fred Miranda tomorrow. I don't know how to put a plug in into PSCS but I'll find out..It sure sounds good and I know it will help me.
    I'll post some more pictures with sky backgrounds tomorrow to see if I can still do it..... and I'll try to figure out why my pictures, after cropping to inches, have the white border on part of them.

Thanks again!

Gaye

9. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Gaye, you probably moved the selected area. So, white backround showed.

To downsize, bicubic sharper works very well in one step. You can just crop the image, and then downsize. To crop, it helps to have fixed ratio mode on.

If in crop tool you have width, height, and resolution set, the cropped portion will be resized to that dimensions. As a result, very crude upsizing can happen, and blocks can appear. To avoid this effect, you can click "Clear" button.

10. The plug in installs itself and then to select it you click on file, then automate, then WP Pro. If you do get it and have problems I will be glad to talk you through it.

11. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Iliah,
    Thanks very much for the help. Today when I get home I'm going to play with the cropping and see how I've done it and work on your suggestions. I'll get back to you later tonight.

I certainly appreciate your help on this.

Best to you,

Gaye

12. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Gordon,
    When I get home today I'm going to go to FM and get WP Pro...then I'll try to get it installed with your good help... I'm sure it will do as you stated...I'm looking forward to using this and then I'll be back with my report..

Many, many thanks,
    Gaye

13. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Here's the picture with the pixel problem I mistakenly deleted it from my Smugmug gallery and then got the red X in my first post in this thread...so this picture should be up with my first post.. It's the bad picture that I needed help with and have gotten some great help in the posts that come after.

Thanks again,

Gaye

18025165-L.

14. This looks like the color got set to 64K instead of the highest range. If you'll note how the sky has those characteristic blocks along a line of changing intensity. Look also at the pixelation in the middle bottom of the image below the horizontal branch.

Just my $.02, actually $.0145 with the prevailing Euro rate. :roll:

15. Gaye,

I am glad you were able to figure out the pixel problem. Your picture looks great now!! :) :) :) :)

16. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Rich,
    Thanks for your input. Where do I find the 64K so I can put it into highest range? Many thanks,
    Gaye

Gordon and Iliah,

Here's one more picture that I just worked on. Now going to get the F.Miranda plugin and also figure out what you wrote me about cropping..Thsi picture didn't have any problem with the white around it so don't know what that's all about or what I did differently. It comes when I try to crop the TIFF into inches...

I'll be back and thanks,

Gaye

18036220-L.

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Gordon,

I got the Fred Miranda PlugIn downloaded and into PSCS.
    Now will go process one or two and work on Iliah's crop information and also use the WP Pro. This should be interesting :lol:

Thanks again,

Gaye

18. Thanks for keeping us informed. I don't think you will be sorry as it is really easy to use once you process your first couple of images.

20. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Rich, when I looked at the image my first thought was "it is 32 colour gif". So, I'm on the same deck :)