Help with Pixelating pictures

Here are two pictures..One without the pixel problem I didn't use WP Pro.. but I did use WP Pro on the one with the pixel problem... so I must go back to work and figure this out...

I'm dreaming of pixels and pixels are running through my head all day.. If I get another dog I'm going to name it 'PIXEL'.

Thanks again for your help and I'll keep working on this.

Gaye

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hi Iliah,
Just a quick question about your earlier cropping info.

what is 'bicubic sharper'? Is that a plugin or is it already in PSCS?

Thanks a lot,
Gaye

Gaye,

It is a resizing algorithm in PS CS. If you click Alt-ii, at the bottom of the pane there is a drop-down, from which we normally choose "bicubic sharper" for downsizing, and "bicubic smoother" for upsizing.

Real Name
Chris
Iliah said:
we normally choose "bicubic sharper" for downsizing, and "bicubic smoother" for upsizing.
I used to do it just like that, but now I downsize in stages. The first stage is 'bicubic smoother' and the last stage is 'bicubic sharper'. I like the result better - often I can do without further USM.

GeeJay said:
Hi Iliah,
Just a quick question about your earlier cropping info.

what is 'bicubic sharper'? Is that a plugin or is it already in PSCS?

Thanks a lot,
Gaye
Gaye, you're going to find thay resizing is a bit like sharpening. There are so many to choose from that it's confusing. The one you mentioned is in PSCS, but you have FM's, and you can use Mike Cheney's Qimage which has several more including a "vectored" resizing. He has a sample on his site with a whole bunch of resizing samples and when you blow up the picture the vector looks very good. He has some criticism of FM's claiming that the algorithm introduces jaggies. YMMV

rich

I"ll chime in here & also recommend FM's WP Pro

What I always do is to 1st check it's current size by going to Image/Size, then do a little math calculation to roughly figure out what size it will be if I go to 50 or 25%, then go from more or less from there. Ron R always recommends downsizing in incrememnts of 10-25 or 33 percentage points. After I do the dowsizing, I'll go back to Image/Size and see if it's about right. If I really screwed up the calc, (hey, it happens), :lol: and it's too small, I go to Edit/Undo, or, on the keyboard, it's Ctrl/Alt/Z) (Ctrl Z is redo) and start over, or maybe do another 10% downsizing if it's still just a little too big. There's also an option to add either Low or High Sharpening. I don't recommend using this in most cases. I almost always use FM's CS Pro for that afterwords, and include the Opacity slider option to fine tune. Both of these plugins will be located in the same place, under "File/Automate". hth, GJ!

Alt-w, enable status bar, alt-click status bar, and you will see the dimensions.

In Ctrl-k you can set the default resize method - mine is "Bicubic Sharper". You can always override it before individual operation right in the resize dialog.

In image size you can set percents in 2 upper dropdowns to see the size in lower drop-downs.

IMHO too much "black magick" - resize is pretty simple.

Different approaches were analized by Andrew Rodney, and he suggested not to use anything third-party with PS CS. His results were checked independently by many in Dan's "Color Theory" group, and we agreed that Andrew's results are accurate.

Gaye,

On the pixelated images, do you save them as JPEG (8-bit color) and then do lots of levels or curves on them? :?:

It looks like a posterization effect where there are not enough levels of colors available to represent the range of input. In that case, the histogram would look like a sparsely populated comb (lots of "teeth", spread out, in it).

It is also possible that in addition to the above, you are reducing the size significantly and then blowing it up again, losing lots and lots of valuable detail in the process? Look at number of pixels only. Don't worry about inches for print, just yet: that is controled by the ppi setting in addition to the number of pixels. In general the more pixels you have to start with, the better the print will be... within reason... :wink:

Thanks for those addl keyboard shortcuts, Iliah (nt)

Iliah said:
Alt-w, enable status bar, alt-click status bar, and you will see the dimensions.

In Ctrl-k you can set the default resize method - mine is "Bicubic Sharper". You can always override it before individual operation right in the resize dialog.

In image size you can set percents in 2 upper dropdowns to see the size in lower drop-downs.

IMHO too much "black magick" - resize is pretty simple.

Different approaches were analized by Andrew Rodney, and he suggested not to use anything third-party with PS CS. His results were checked independently by many in Dan's "Color Theory" group, and we agreed that Andrew's results are accurate.

Thanks to you all,

I'm going to digest all your suggestions and continue to work on this pixel problem until I have it solved. I'll post what I find out. At this point some of my pictures have the pixel problem and others don't and I don't know what I do differently.

Many thanks to you all for your great help and advice!

Gaye

Iliah,

Yes I can but I'd have to send it to your email. I can do that later today..I won't be home until later this afternoon.. would that work for you?

Thank very much,
Gaye

PS..It seems to be the blue sky that has the pixel problem..can't see the problem in other pictures...

Iliah,
That's perfect. I just sent it--original NEF.

Thanks and I'll look for it later..

Gaye

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom