Help with Pocket Wizards!?

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Steve S, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Finally got the garage studio all set up with the track lighting system by Dynatran, Elinchrom strobes/ 2 Chimera softboxes, and a set of Pocket Wizards Plus, but the Pocket Wizards won't fire the strobes. Double checked I did everything right, and in proper sequence. Test button on the Elinchroms fires them. They will also fire if set to optical slave and an onboard flash unit is used (D200). Communications tests on the Wizards verify communication. Could it be the supplied Pocket Wizards Sync cord isn't compatable with the Elinchroms? I'm stumped man! Tried calling Mamiya Corp for help, but was put on hold for 44 mins, and finally hung up. Also searched their forums. Help?
    Steve

2. Steve,

Have you tried firing the strobe from the test button on the Receiver? If that doesn't work, chances are that you have the wrong sync cord, or it's not fully plugged in.

If that does work, can you fire the strobes from the test button on the Transmitter with it off the camera? If that works, are you positive that you have the Transmitter completely into the hot shoe?

It boils down to:
    1. Is the camera tripping the Transmitter?
    2. Is the Transmitter communicating with the receiver?
    3. Is the receiver firing the strobe.

Woody

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks Woody, two things A, I didn't have the right sync cord, the one supplied from P Wizards didn't work in the Elinchroms, so I got one from Radio Shack, and B, I don't think I had the Transmitter fully seated into the hotshoe either! :confused: Got it workig now. Don't know how I ever got by without these things, they're great!

4. Yea, tell me. Definitely one of the coolest things ever... total freedom of movement, 99% reliable, and you don't even know the thing is there.

Life is good!

Man, with your new camera and studio you are in for a real treat.

Woody

5. Great to see your up and running, would luv to see a shot of your set up :smile: Im just going down this road with a AB set up with Calumet wireless triggers........ going to be a whole new world. Wifey is tired of birdies. LOL :rolleyes: