Help with post processing/color

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cknight, Sep 19, 2005.

1. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    This is one of the pics I took this Saturday. I was playing around in NC and Photoshop Elements3 trying to remove a slight color cast (or at least a perceived color cast). I've been trying to improve my color correction skills.
    This one seemed to have a slight yellow cast (needed a little more blue). White balance was set to Direct Sunlight -> Cloudy.
    Which one of these do you like best? Or should I have done something different?

This was original out of the camera.
    _DSC3385__orig_web.

Then I did some curves adjustments in NC using Ron R's technique.
    _DSC3385_a_web.

Then, I took the above pick and opened it in Photoshop. Used 'Remove Color Cast' and selected a spot in the white on its 'chin'.
    _DSC3385_b_web.

That seemed to take some of the color out of the water, so I selected the bird/rock and did a selective remove color cast as above.
    _DSC3385_c_web.

And for kicks, I did one in BW, just curious to see if I get any sort of reaction on this one.
    _DSC3385_bw_web.

Sometimes when adjusting white balance, I feel like I'm removing some of the character of the warm light. Is the only way to prevent this to just use your judgement and try to 'remeber what it looked like'?

PS - if someone thinks this would get a better response in the Technical forum, please feel free to move it.

2. Nice image and good tutorial on how you did your post processing.

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I prefer #3. I like the pinkness in the water (even if it wasn't there originally). The B&W shot doesn't work for me.

4. I tried LAB Color. I removed the yellow cast and adjusted the lightness.

Rich

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Thanks for the comments. I didn't really think of the water in #3 as being pink, but now that you mentioned it, I see it.

Rich, could you go over the steps to remove color cast in LAB? I have Photoshop Elements and GIMP.