Help with problem...?

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by JohnC, Aug 5, 2007.

1. I have noticed that my pictures lately have a white or blue dot in the exact same place with every shot. When I zoom in, the spot looks like a + sign.

It's white in brighter pictures and blue in dark pictures. :confused:

I seen some real small particles of dust with a flashlight, cleaned them off, made sure no dust was on it and the lens with the flashlight, and then went outside and reshot to find the same problem again.

Here is a sample picture of the dot. It's right in front of the bug if you look at it from 100%. If you zoom all the way in, it looks like a +.

http://home.comcast.net/~nx330mustang/DSC_0006.JPG

Is this dust or a pixel problem?

2. Take it to 400% and it looks like a +.

3. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think I'd pack up that camera and send it to Nikon for service. It looks like a ccd problem. I'm sure that's the last thing you want to hear... hold on for the experts, but I'd get a nice box and some packing material together.

4. Thanks. Given that advice, I sent a message with a sample picture to Nikon. I hope it doesn't turn out to be a ccd problem like you said, though. :(

5. I swapped my 18-135mm lens for the 24-85mm and the + is still there. :(

It's looking more like a CCD problem to me now.

6. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I agree that it is a CCD problem - looks like a "stuck pixel". I sent in a D100 to Melville, NY for cleaning and it returned with this exact problem. When I blew up the image, it also looked like a +. Nikon made it right. Nikon sent me a replacement D100, which I exchanged at my local dealer for a D70.

7. Yep! It looks 100% like a dead pixel problem. See this link. http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~jduffy/699/

:frown::frown::frown:

How long does it take Nikon to fix a problem like this and do they send me a box to ship it in, or do I need to do that? Do I pay for shipping, or do they?

I had a brand new Sony desktop go dead in a week, and they sent me a box and foam next day air FedEx, fixed it, and had it back to my door in 3 business days. I hope Nikon customer service is that good. :QuestionM

8. Oh yeah, if you look closer, there are two more of these spots. One on the very left side and one on the very right. They are a lot smaller, though.

9. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    I wouldn't loose my sleep over it, not that visible in your case and not worth changing camera imho, you don't know how a replacement will be.

My D200 and D2Hs both have 2 or 3 dead / stuck / red pixels each, usually visible on higher iso settings. It doesn't bother me that much, not to the point to send any camera for repair.

10. From your description it looks like a hot pixel. My D200 has one but I don't regard this as a problem as it is only visible if you poke your nose into the picture.

The + shape btw is the result of the demosaicing process of interpolating colour pixels from seperate R, G, B pixels. Accordingly I can vary the shape by using different RAW converters from a soft '+' up to discrete single pixel.
    :smile:

11. It bothers me and I really don't want to spend time processing it out if Nikon will cover it under warranty. I haven't had this camera long and if I keep it and put up with it, what happens if it gets worse right out of warranty?

I want to keep the D80 as a backup camera in the future and upgrade to whatever replaces the D200 (D300?) when it comes out so I don't have to swap lenses when I shoot sports and other moving objects.

Also, when you use an image at 100% - like a crop, you can see that + sign too much for my liking. I also shoot a lot of night city skylines and I've had that + show up pretty big on buildings.

Maybe I’m just a picky perfectionist.

12. Hi John --

You aren't being picky if a dead pixel is ruining your photo !
    But hot/dead pixels are an inevitable fact of digital life,
    so we just gotta deal.

You can clone hot/dead pix out during processing
    with the photoshop healing brush (or similar).
    Or,
    you can send the cam periodically to Nikon for "remapping" of dead pixels.

Here's an additional link about hot pixels with some links
    to hot pix processing techniques (don't know if all still active though).
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/HOT/HOT.HTM

Hot pixels tend to show up from every sensor on every dSLR
    if using very high ISO or shooting long exposures under low light
    or shooting when it is very hot.
    Hot pixels may show up in different locations in different photos depending
    the light/dark areas of your photo.

Dead pixels show up eventually on every dSLR.
    Dead pixels are (obviously!!-lol) always in the same place.

Here's the link from the Nikon USA website about sending
    a camera in for service.
    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?goingto=inc_service
    You pay for shipping to Nikon. The turnaround can be anywhere
    from 1-2 weeks after they receive the camera.

Hope this helps -- don't sweat it too much --
    just add a workflow step and send in the cam every couple years or so.