Help with protecting in inkjet print

Hi all,

I started creating photo magnets to sell and need some help with protecting the mounted print. I'm trying to protect the surface so that it can be wiped clean when used as a kitchen/refrigerator magnet. I am using an Epson 2880 printer, then mounting the print on mat board (overall size is 2" x 3" up to 4" x 6") and using self-stick magnets on the back of the mat board. I shopped at Michaels and the sales person suggested using 'Mod Podge,' a decoupage type glue sealer, to protect the print. Although, it dried clear, it did not dry smooth with repeated attempts. Further research suggested using a water-based varnish like 'Minwax' or 'J W Right Step.' I am looking for something with low or no VOC and that will dry in minutes not hours. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Any other ideas that I'm not considering?

Best Regards,

Have you considered the option of either hot or cold lamination of the print prior to mounting onto mat board? Good quality laminators are fairly inexpensive these days. Never had good experience of using any brush on protective coating to print material myself but maybe someone else has.

Have you considered the option of either hot or cold lamination of the print prior to mounting onto mat board? Good quality laminators are fairly inexpensive these days. Never had good experience of using any brush on protective coating to print material myself but maybe someone else has.

Tony,

Thanks, I have not considered lamination.

Regards,

I was thinking an over laminate was going to be my suggestion as well. Go for the industrial type that will withstand harsh chemicals and you would be set. They even come in die cut sizes so trimming would be minimal.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom