Help with the Expodisc

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Catz, Jul 15, 2005.

1. I just received in the mail the WB and the warm w/b filter and I am having problems with how to use it.

The instructions for Installation says to thread the recess in front of your camera which is what I did inside of the 17-55 Lens. It doesn't seem to tighten like a regular lens does with it's threading, but it is the best I can do with the threading.

On How to Set a Custom WB it says To get great results with the Expodisc just put it on the end of the lens and point the camera at the subject area or light source to balance.

The point is I did all of this and tried to take a picture with it and the camera wouldn't fire. I even have the camera (D2X) on P just in case I am doing something wrong in A or M, or S.

Can someone help me with this?

Thank you so much,

UPDATE

While reading more of the manuel, I found that they have instructions for different cameras. Before, I was going by the quick start card that came with the Disc.

One question though is can I use this disc on different sizes of lenses even though I have the 77 mm?

Thanks again,

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Mine just "snaps" into the threads of my lens that is the same size, for other size lenses you just hold the Expodisc snuggly against the front of the lens (to avoid light getting past the sides).

I usually don't have trouble getting the shutter to fire, but you may need to set the camera for Manual focus, and use a Manual Exposure/Shutter Speed.

After putting the Expodisc in place, and setting the camera so it will fire the shutter, you must access the Custom White Balance Pre-Set feature of your camera (I have a D70) and then follow the directions in your user manual for setting the White Balance.

3. Thanks Ken,

After I posted the question, I opened the manual and there it was, how to use the disc in different cameras so I got it right after doing a custom w/b setting the "pre".

Again, thanks for the help,

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Melissa,

All because of Ken, I chose to buy an EXPOdisk and I absolutely love it. It seems to work like a champ and I could not be more pleased. I hope you enjoy yours as well.....

Happy shooting.............

5. I have an expodisk and used it occasionally with my D100. The auto WB on the D2X is better than the expodisk so I don't use it anymore. If you're serious about WB, shoot in RAW mode, and take a shot of a neutral gray card placed in your scene where the ambient light will illuminate it and you can see it from the camera. Then use the gray card in Nikon Capture or whatever photo editor you use to balance the RBG channels and you'll have perfect or near perfect WB. If nothing else you can use the gray card to provide a check on your WB technique to learn how accurate it really is. If you're doing well, then the gray card should show the R, G, B values with the eyedropper tool to be equal.

6. If the WB is better on the D2X than the Expodisc, then maybe I should send it back.

If anyone uses it with the X please let me know if you use the disc on your X and how do you feel about it.

Thank you so much,

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm glad you are enjoying yours too. I thought the 72mm was BIG until I got my VR lenses. Now the 72mm fits my 24-120VR but is too small for the 80-400VR, so I may have to get a 77mm.

It's hard to imagine anyone not liking the result of an Expodisc when used properly, after all it's just a compact version of a well engineered 18% gray-card!

I've never known anyone to not get the result it was designed for when used correctly, and it's so much easier than using other methods.

8. Thank you Ken,

I will be keeping mine then. I actually thought it did very well once I figured it out and you are right...So much easier than other methods like having to hold up a gray card.

I also got the warming filter but don't know if I will need it.

9. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    As I mentioned, buying the EXPOdisk was the perfect purchase for me. I find it very accurate, easy to use...and I trust it. My two walk-around lenses have 77mm openings and I set WB using either one then switch to the 300mm prime when I need greater reach. Great results everytime!

10. billT

billT Guest

I used to use an EXPO
    DISC, but not anymore with the D2X.

BillT