Help with Thunderbird on 2 computers

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Allan, Jan 13, 2018.

1. I have 2 Macs running the latest OS and the latest TB with pop accounts.
    I would like to copy a folder (with subfolders) of email from 1 Mac to show up and work with TB on the other Mac. I am going on a trip and would like to bring those messages (perhaps 100-130) with me.
    I do not want to replace anything else that is on either computer. I want to leave what is on both computers in TB and just move one folder to the second Mac.
    The mail is all gmail but it is not on the server anymore - messages are locally on the 2 Macs.

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Do the two machines collect emails from different addresses?
    If not, you could simply copy your main machine's entire email data, with all your folders, onto the other machine. That way you would have everything. I do this all the time. This is on a PC not a Mac but it will be equally easy. You just need to find where the data is. On a PC it is normally here:
    C:\Users\***username***\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles
    If they are different email systems, then you can still do this by having a second TB profile, but that is too difficult to give simple instructions for.

3. I do not want to copy the entire data. I just want to move some folders from desktop to MBP while keeping the email that is already on the MPB.
    I did find a solution - emailchemy - which works with many email clients.

4. Growltiger

I can see it works converting between formats, which is what it is for. Does it also do what you are asking for? And is it worth paying for?

I know what you want, but why not simply move everything. It is just some more disk space.

Another option is to forward them all to yourself. You can select them all and click on the Forward button. Then you paste your email address into each and send them.

5. It costs $30 and I was able to do what I wanted in 5 minutes.
    If I moved everything would the everything on the desktop be added to what I had on the map or replace it. If it replaced I would lose a lot that I want to keep. If it added to what I had it would work but I would want to delete - not to save disk space - but to make messages easier to find.
    I could forward them to myself but then I would lose the from field in message list view. I would then need to move them to proper folders.
    The $30 was well spent.

6. Growltiger

You could have moved the whole lot and had it under a separate profile. You could then have deleted all the folders you didn't want.
    But doing it your way was easy.

7. Just happy it is done. Thanks for your help.
    I posted something similar on the Mozilla Support site but no one even answered. :( 

8. Yup. That's mostly a place to go to hear the echo of your own voice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.