Help with white sort of halo

I am not posting to show off a great post processing work but rather to ask a question. I feel it should be easy to get rid of the white around the anhinga's tale but I am not having luck.

I made a layer with just the bird - try constricting it and feathering it - and then selcteed a color range of white - and then cloning or sampling the green and brushing.

No matter what I do I cut into the bird a bit - maybe I am doing it right but am just a klutze.

Any suggestions?

_MAA9270.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just tried with a luminosity selection and increased the contrast of the selection to pretty much the white outline. In a blank layer using the selection as a stencil clone stamp in darken mode and then followed with painting with the sampled values of the dark green. Deleted selection and went back over the painted on layer with the edge of a feathered brush with water color sampled.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I would probably simply use the clone tool, with great care and zoomed right in. I guess it would take about 10 minutes.
What I want to know is why that halo is there. Is it visible in the original image or is it partly a result of sharpening or other processing? Is it a real effect of light from behind? It looks odd.

I would probably simply use the clone tool, with great care and zoomed right in. I guess it would take about 10 minutes.
What I want to know is why that halo is there. Is it visible in the original image or is it partly a result of sharpening or other processing? Is it a real effect of light from behind? It looks odd.
How about using the brush tool in Lightroom?
Thanks Richard and Bill. Will give those a try.

Actually, I kind of like the "rim lighting" effect and am wondering if in fact that isn't the source of this, anyway, rather than some issue with the editing process or editing software?
Interesting. I will go back and look at the raw. I originally posted after seeing the halo - just to ask what others would do to get rid of it. I had spent about 20 minutes and just made a mess.

I use both. I never got into all the workings of C1 but I use it for raw development and send tiffs to LR for cataloging and then PS. Hey, don't tell me I'm crazy. It will hurt my feelings and I will still continue doing what I am doing now. :)

Here is how I did it. First make two copies to work on. use select subject to isolate the bird on the second copy. Refine the edge of the tail where the problem is. Takes a few minutes to refine to eliminate the white edge you are looking at. Invert the selection and delete the background altogether. Turn off this layer.

On the first copy use the clone tool to clone the green water over where the tail is. Then turn on the isolated bird layer.

Would like to see the raw file to see what it looked like.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks for showing the original. Now we can see that instead of just fixing the problem, the real solution is understanding what went wrong during the original processing.
There are many ways to replace the background in the way that was wanted. In PS "Refine Edge" comes to mind, this step-by-step may help:
https://expertphotography.com/refine-edges-in-photoshop/

I used the technique Richard suggested in the video with much improvement. The light area at the end of the tail belongs there.

Thanks Richard, urbanflyer, Mike, Nick, Connie, Bill, Gary, and John for your help and comments.
_MAA9270a.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom