Help with workflow

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Jeff Mims, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I shot three games yesterday (a tournament). I need ideas for a fast efficient work flow that will allow me to make some adjustments to JPEG, and upload to smugmug..without spending hours on end. I just don't have the time or the patience.
    I think I need to get stuff up on site...ASAP

Sorry to keep bothering you guys with these questions (marketing..now workflow) but I'd really appreciate any help you guys could give.

2. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    1. Shoot it right out of the camera including crop. Wait for the action to fill the frame or get some BIG glass like my 4002.8 that is for sale :cool:
    2. Use a on-line sales site such as Printroom, MorePhotos, Exposure Manager that automates the upload and post-production process for you.

The aforementioned sites provide software that uploads only thumbnails of your images. When an order comes in the software knows where the original file is located to upload. You even have the option of doing some final touch ups before the original is uploaded.

I can have a game with a 200 images up in a few minutes since the thumbnails are only 65kb each.

3. i shoot RAW and process each pic in NC 4.4
    I USM, crop and sometimes adjust EV or WB...I spend less than 30 seconds per pic and quickly skip over ones i don't want. I have not been happy with batch processing from NC. I use star explorer to upload to smugmug (sometimes i use sendtosmugmug).
    I shoot less each time I go out and keep even less. It takes time to get the feel for what will be a keeper and what won't... I rarely shoot in bursts.
    I try to always shoot the eyes since faces sell. I try not to shoot backs and I try to get the ball in every shot.

When I started last year I was more concerned with IQ than PP time. Now i come home w/ less pics to PP.

4. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Jeff, as others have mentioned, its easy to get buried in PP. it'll take it a little time to develop your own workflow. I try to minimize single pic editing. here's what I did during baseball;

I shoot in JPEG, large, fine. after I download the game, I burn it to a CD or DVD before I do anything.:wink: then I batch process the folder using Photoshop Elements. I set it to auto adjust the levels, contrast, and sharpening, and save it at the MAX Quality setting. then I go through the folder and delete what needs to be deleted. I single edit less than 10 pics per game. about the only shots I crop in PP are outfield shots. then the folder is uploaded to Smugmug. I do most of my cropping in Smugmug during 'proofing' after the order has been placed. it takes just a few seconds to do. it is a BIG, BIG time saver.

then, an occasional shadows adjustment or something, is about the only single pic editing I do.

one thing I experimented with the last half of the season was to split the teams from each game into their own gallery. pics that had members of both teams, are placed in both galleries. it added about 5-10 minutes to my workflow, but it makes it easier for the parents to find their kids by giving them half the number of pics to go through. not sure if its something I could do during soccer, since many more shots will have both teams in them.

one of the problems I have, is I'm guilty of shooting too many pics per game. :biggrin: but I'm working on it. :wink:

something that has cut down on my PP time was finally getting a new 'high-speed' (compared to my old one) computer. the batch process, as well as everything else, is now done in a fraction of the time. :biggrin: