1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Help-Wrestling pictures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tee1172, Feb 1, 2011.

1. tee1172

tee1172

Jun 21, 2008
    pa
    I was asked by a friend to take some pictures of her son wrestling for our high school, I just purchased the nikon 55-200 vr lens and was wondering what mode would be the best to shoot the pictures in. I usually mess around with setting because I am still sooo new at taking them but things will be moving pretty fast and i need your help. Sorry forgot to say that this will be in a high school gym with the lighting there. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  2. where in PA are you?

im gonna assume lighting will be pretty bad, but you ought to be able to get away with an auto white balance.

if i were you i would shoot in manual
    with a shutter speed around 1/640.
    aperture will need to be wide open.
    ISO will most likely be approaching 3200 if not higher
    you are gonna really need to use the histogram to get the exposure right, but from there you should be fine to set-and-forget

i would shoot in RAW as well so you have more to work with in post, even if it is just ViewNX2

just curious, what body?

3. Ciao Theresa

I think you might have a major issue there.
    VR isn't helpful here. You might get the shot but the time would be so slow that would give you back mostly blurred shots. Here a faster lens, even a cheap AIS if you could mount on your camera, would be probably better. You should premeter and prefocus the middle of the arena and keep that value all the match long. No shots missed, aside what's truly out of focus. Just to give you an idea:
    In september I followed a fashion defilé with D700 and 105 F/2.5, Models were all coming toward me and I wouldn't have been able to follow them one by one. So I focused where they would have stood to be admired (and where was more light) and this is the result, most of 600 shots reasonably sharp. I post just a few pics since there are also lingerie shots in the gallery. With a 105 F/2.5 you're able to frame a whole person and its surroundings at about 30 ft far from you.

1/125s - f/8 - 1600 iso - walking subject - spot light very good on subject, though.

1011074539_Jq3ni-X2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Same settings. Would you ever believe I know this model, she daily works as a hairdresser in my town ???

1011072697_haX6W-X2.jpg

Try to figure out when is the slowest part of a move (i.e. when a wrestler takes his opponent over his head to slam him down a second later: at the peak of the move you should have the wrestlers almost not moving due to inertial forces) then choose a time - if you can get it, between 1/60s - 1/250s so that the blur eventually present will emphatize the move itself.
    Shoot RAW (you have more room to rework it later) and -1 EV if this helps to get more useful times.

Just in case ( I don't think so ) you would have a FX body (D700 or above), you might set the DX crop and meter there (where more light is expected to be) to have a better metering to shoot. This is a trick I used once in a theater with all around dark to black and light only in the middle of the frame. Probably not the best picture but to give you an idea.

487615466_9j37h-X2.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.