Help?!

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by lr1811, Mar 28, 2007.

1. I took some photos of a band a while back but almost all of them had a bad red cast to them. In B&W, they don't look bad but I'd like to hear some suggestions/options.

Here is an example. In CaptureNX, I took the photo on the left (which I shot in NEF) and selected (in this order) "auto levels," "black & white conversion," and "d-lighting" to get the photo on the right. I know I can do more but I just wanted to show that the B&W is obviously better then the red photo.

I also use Photoshop CS2 so suggestions there can/will be listened to as well!

[​IMG]

(I realize there is a wire that appears to be coming out of the top of his head... I did no editing to the original except for what was listed - I am more concerned with the "red" before I get to editing the rest...)

2. Did you try adjusting the white balance?

3. Patently the red channel is completely blown. To get a better black and white conversion you need to make more use of the noisier but probably unblown blue and green channels.

Somebody explain this better :smile:

4. You could use the channel mixer method of doing B&W conversion in PS CS2, see if that gets you better results.

5. I really have not tried to get a great B&W at this point. I was hoping to save the color version and get comments/suggestions before I turned to the B&W.

I'll play with the WB and see what happens.. so far my efforts have not been good.

Thanks!

6. If you don't mind uploading the NEF somewhere, I'll take a stab at it with Lightroom/PS later when I get home.

7. thanks!

I don't have the file on the computer I am typing this from so I'd have to send it later. Do you want to PM your e-mail and I'll send it that way?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.