Helpful hint for vacation photos....

So you go on vacation, to a great spot, some huge cathedral, some incredible landscape but alas, too many people to get a really great shot. Well, this is a very simple little trick to get as many people OUT of the shot, without actually putting up police tape! *LOL*
Tripod is a must, unfortunately.
Take a pic of the scene. Wait a few minutes. Take another picture of the same, exact same settings. Hopefully between the takes, some of the people have moved around. Pull both pics into PS as layers, lower opacity of top layer, and then just erase areas on the top layer that have people in it but none in bottom layer, or vice versa.
You can't do anything about the folks who just stand there staring, but at least you can get rid of the moving ones!
Hope this helps some travelling photogs. Cheers, Sandi

K

Ken-L

That's an interesting way to do that, have you got any examples, maybe a series that shows several shots, and the final result?

I once saw a demo of another technique that does not seem as practical for us. It was of a subway station. The shot was made by using a camera on a tripod with an incredibly long exposure - I believe it was several hours. The reason it worked is that people walking past the lens, or waiting for a train, were only in the picture for a moment or so, and on such a long exposure they had no impact on the shot! I imagine the camera would have to be protected by police tape for such a long event!

Ken, a similar effect can be achieved with much shorter exposures.

This is a night shot I did this year of the Pompidou Arts centre in Paris. The exposure was F22 at 20 seconds and it's almost eliminated the passers-by. You can make some of them out as faint ghostly shapes, but I rather like the effect.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

K

Ken-L

I like that. Using Sandy's technique, it might only take two shots to have it "perfect".

My D70 has a 30sec maximum exposure, and that might do the trick also....I would think that the lighting and background will have some impact on the result.

My D70 has a 30sec maximum exposure, and that might do the trick also....I would think that the lighting and background will have some impact on the result.
You can do much longer than 30sec exposures if you use the Buld mode. IR remote makes this much easier otherwise you have to physically hold the shutter down I think. (With IR remote it's one click to release the shutter and a second to end the exposure).

K

Ken-L

Jeff -

But, then I would have to get out my old Gossen Luna Pro Light Meter and buy a battery for it.....
to determine the exposure - and I just sold a Sekonic L-558R DualMaster..... :lol:

Cute idea Sandi.
For the apparently limited few of us using Picture Window Pro rather than PS, the same thing can be accomplished using a one-to-one clone.
Wouldn't a similar approach, with slight movement between shots, be a solution to the "shooting through the fence" problem?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Glad I could be of help to some. Every little bit helps when trying to grab that decent shot.
Bob, I'm not sure how this idea would work with a fencing issue as you'd have to move your camera so that would make the shots not align up?? Or maybe my brain just isn't grasping the concept at the end of this very long and highly stressful day - brain's a little fried.

Sandy, you're right about moving the camera and the alignment effect. It would make your layers technique tricky at best. However, I still think that only about 1/2 inch would suffice (depends on how far you are from the fence), and it should then be possible to clone away the blurs. I was going to try it out yesterday, but couldn't find a suitable fence/scene combination. I'll post the results when I find what I'm looking for.
Thanks for the idea.

Bob Coutant said:
Cute idea Sandi.
For the apparently limited few of us using Picture Window Pro rather than PS,
hey Bob, I'm so happy to find someone else here using Picture Window Pro!!! I've been using it for years, just love it. But its a lonely place sometimes, lol.

Hi Janet,
I've run into a few PWP'ers on DPR, and there's always the PWP forum. I've learned a good bit by translating PS lingo to the more intuitive (for me anyway) PWP functionality -- I enjoy the challenge.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom