Helpful hint for vacation photos....

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by TOLady, Jun 7, 2005.

1. So you go on vacation, to a great spot, some huge cathedral, some incredible landscape but alas, too many people to get a really great shot. Well, this is a very simple little trick to get as many people OUT of the shot, without actually putting up police tape! *LOL*
    Tripod is a must, unfortunately.
    Take a pic of the scene. Wait a few minutes. Take another picture of the same, exact same settings. Hopefully between the takes, some of the people have moved around. Pull both pics into PS as layers, lower opacity of top layer, and then just erase areas on the top layer that have people in it but none in bottom layer, or vice versa.
    You can't do anything about the folks who just stand there staring, but at least you can get rid of the moving ones!
    Hope this helps some travelling photogs. Cheers, Sandi

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

That's an interesting way to do that, have you got any examples, maybe a series that shows several shots, and the final result?

I once saw a demo of another technique that does not seem as practical for us. It was of a subway station. The shot was made by using a camera on a tripod with an incredibly long exposure - I believe it was several hours. The reason it worked is that people walking past the lens, or waiting for a train, were only in the picture for a moment or so, and on such a long exposure they had no impact on the shot! I imagine the camera would have to be protected by police tape for such a long event!

3. Ken, a similar effect can be achieved with much shorter exposures.

This is a night shot I did this year of the Pompidou Arts centre in Paris. The exposure was F22 at 20 seconds and it's almost eliminated the passers-by. You can make some of them out as faint ghostly shapes, but I rather like the effect.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like that. Using Sandy's technique, it might only take two shots to have it "perfect".

My D70 has a 30sec maximum exposure, and that might do the trick also....I would think that the lighting and background will have some impact on the result.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    You can do much longer than 30sec exposures if you use the Buld mode. IR remote makes this much easier otherwise you have to physically hold the shutter down I think. (With IR remote it's one click to release the shutter and a second to end the exposure).

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Jeff -

But, then I would have to get out my old Gossen Luna Pro Light Meter and buy a battery for it.....
    to determine the exposure - and I just sold a Sekonic L-558R DualMaster..... :lol:

7. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Cute idea Sandi.
    For the apparently limited few of us using Picture Window Pro rather than PS, the same thing can be accomplished using a one-to-one clone.
    Wouldn't a similar approach, with slight movement between shots, be a solution to the "shooting through the fence" problem?

8. Thanks for the great tip!

9. Glad I could be of help to some. Every little bit helps when trying to grab that decent shot.
    Bob, I'm not sure how this idea would work with a fencing issue as you'd have to move your camera so that would make the shots not align up?? Or maybe my brain just isn't grasping the concept at the end of this very long and highly stressful day - brain's a little fried.

10. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Sandy, you're right about moving the camera and the alignment effect. It would make your layers technique tricky at best. However, I still think that only about 1/2 inch would suffice (depends on how far you are from the fence), and it should then be possible to clone away the blurs. I was going to try it out yesterday, but couldn't find a suitable fence/scene combination. I'll post the results when I find what I'm looking for.
    Thanks for the idea.

11. hey Bob, I'm so happy to find someone else here using Picture Window Pro!!! I've been using it for years, just love it. But its a lonely place sometimes, lol.

12. Bob Coutant

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Hi Janet,
    I've run into a few PWP'ers on DPR, and there's always the PWP forum. I've learned a good bit by translating PS lingo to the more intuitive (for me anyway) PWP functionality -- I enjoy the challenge.

13. JackG

JackG

May 31, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    sandi,

Thanks for the tip! Going to try that on some shots from Bryce Canyon that I need to remove some people out of.

Jack