Helping a kid with POTS syndrome

On a local facebook group someone asked about exercises/activities for her 15 year old who has been recently diagnosed with POTS syndrome
[I had to look it up]
I know this isn't a place to ask for medical advice but am hoping someone with experience can provide suggestions for dealing with it, so I am better
equipped when they come around to my place on the weekend.
One person suggested he gets into photography so I messaged her and said I could give him some lessons [and maybe my old J1].
Apparently he has been feeling suicidal - so I thought I could discuss my battle with Epilepsy over a 25 year period, after which I grew
out of it, because having that possibility [growing out of something] as a hope has, in my experience, made a lot of people feel better
about their lot in life.
In the meantime I will dig out my flash trigger and some smoke bombs and prepare for the visit.
wpzabulbsmash+015.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Anyway, his mom dropped him off yesterday - I haven't done any high speed photography since moving and it was too bright in the garage so I converted the trailer into a studio, with a metal box filled with cardboard to catch the pellets.
I kept to the side so my shots had a horrible background but halfway through when we filled the balloons with water he had a dizzy attack which gave me the chance to chat with him about how lucky he is to have everything that he has, he agreed he was better off than someone with no legs or no hands - so hopefully he is feeling a bit better about life now.
P1011525_DxO.jpg
P1011541_DxO.jpg

So kind of you to do this.
I just know what it feels like - I like to tell kids in that situation what I've learned over the years to encourage them.

Nice that you're helping the kid. Photography might help, it's a good hobby that someone can enjoy at their own pace. That a great photo of that lightbulb.
Thanks, the light bulb shot was taken with an 18-105mm lens :) I enjoy high speed photography,
it provides interesting results :)
sqYDSC_2669.jpg

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
No expert here, but I would think less talk about your experiences and more listening to his would be in order. Try to get him to feel safe to open up and be listened to non-judgementally.

Real Name
Doug
No expert here, but I would think less talk about your experiences and more listening to his would be in order. Try to get him to feel safe to open up and be listened to non-judgementally.
Totally agree. Teens have more than enough folks talking to/at them. Listening is like catnip for them. Our DIL suffers from POTS (among other maladies). It is deeply disconcerting and disorienting (and if you are an adolescent, deeply embarrassing).

Latest threads

Top Bottom