Helsinki by Night at noon

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Panos Kazanelis, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Hey Panos!
    Has Cyprus got too warm for you :smile: ?

Last shot is awesome.

BTW - I had a similar welcome in a Burmese hotel once (not on a monitor, though), but as usual my name was spelt incorrect. I have to try and find the pic.

Will your job bring you to Vienna one day?

Cheers

2. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Amazing shots and even more amazing climate up there. I'm SOOOO glad I chose Fla to winter in!!

3. Hi Panos...I really enjoyed looking at their Cathedrals. The architecture is supurb in Finland.

I just can't get over the fact that it starts getting dark at 2:30 in the afternoon. It must really take some time getting used to.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful shots Panos, but what's that white stuff all over everything?? :biggrin:

5. Great shots Panos...was in Helsinki once....lovely country... What I remember most in the airport...everyone....and I mean everyone had a cell phone attached to their ear!

Bob

6. Well, to tell ya the truth, I enjoy cold as much as heat...

I know you'll hate me form that, but I was in Wienna almost a week ago... but TOO BUSY for a call or a coffee.... sorry...

7. Hehe... true... but it's good for the business... so, I'll have to come again :wink:

8. Early darkness is something you can get used to... imagine a 24 hours sunlit day...!!! We're talking insomnia... :eek:

9. Donno Frank... can't eat it though... but for the teeth...:biggrin:

10. Well, Bob, now it's called Wireless Internet and it's all over Europe...!!!
    Wherever you go in the airport you see nerd people with laptops connected to the I'net and wasting time...
    Hey... I'm describing myself here... :confused:

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Well well, Helsingfors/Helsinki is way south of the Polar Circle so they will at most have 19-20 hours of daylight during early summer, the same as in Oslo in fact.

The white stuff is of course snow and is a substance Nordic people love to deal with in any imaginable way and then some. It is an integrated part of our lives and culture. Did you know you can estimate the ambient tempature just by listening to footfalls on snow?

12. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    I could tell the temperature by the way my ears would fall off, and my nose turn into a numb block of ice :biggrin: .

Pano, just to let you know we had around +30 C today, and Cyprus should have pretty much the same weather.

By the way, I like the cathedral shots! How did you manage to get so many daytime pictures during such a short day?

13. MariaVoniati

MariaVoniati Guest

Good evening Pano,

You must have fun there, snow all over the place and cold weather! Nice pictures by the way.
    Don’t work too much, e.:wink:

14. Panos
    The cathedral shots are unreal very well done

15. Well Panos these are great shots! So being a nordic person myself, I have yet to figure out why anyone wants to go there at this time of year :) It's cold dark and the days are so short.

16. Bjørn, I've been to Rovaniemi on Christmas and it was dead dark all day round... Summer reveals a whole new different world. I spent a week in Upsala and the Archipelagos during August and it was amazing.

However, I am a great fun of snow and low temperatures, so I enjoyed it very much walking around Helsinki's Rail Station area last night, even with -9Celsius...

17. I'll be back soon riding the waves Heiko -and taking care of some of our business :wink:

"Daytime pictures"??? yeah.... at ISO 400 and 1/4 - 1/8... I walk fast... :wink:

Tonight I'm writting from the frozen city of Brussels... everything is white here, too :eek:

18. I don't worry about the work Maria... I KNOW it's in good hands back in Cyprus. Make sure you make that call I asked you to, please... and I'll bring back some more work ... :rolleyes:

19. Thanks Mike, I have a few more to post when I'm back home.:cool: