Hepatica

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pa, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Falls Ridge Preserve, along the North Fork of the Roanoke River In Montgomery County, Virginia, is one of my wife's favorite places in the Spring. It is owned and managed by the Nature Conservancy. At an elevation of 1500 feet, it is 1200 feet lower than where we live (2700), so the spring flowers start much earlier.

Yesterday, the Bloodroot and Hepatica were out. Here are a few shots of the Hepatica, taken with D200+18-200VR, all hand-held.

These flowers are basically white, and the blossoms are about 1/2 inch in diameter.

[​IMG]

They can also be a pale pink:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and even a very light blue:

[​IMG]

The conditions for photography were not good yesterday since we were there at midday when the light was very bright and the wind was blowing. I hope to get back at a better time with my macro lens and tripod.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very pretty flowers:>))
    Nice pics
    Thanks for a fresh look at spring

3. Very nice, i like the shadows cast by the stamins in 2 & 3.
    Cheers Dave

4. Thanks, Gale and Dave.

My wife reminds me that these flowers are also called liverwort.

5. Lovely. Hepatica are among my favorite spring flowers. Here in Europe they are mostly pale violet to purple colored, and the color is difficult to nail with a dSLR.

Cheers

6. Thanks, Harry. You are right.

It's also hard to nail the focus when they are nodding in the breeze!

7. mrtac2man

mrtac2man

Jun 3, 2005
    CT
    great job on pretty flowers... lets see more of the wildflowers..

8. Lovely, I especially like the subtle shadowplay in number 2 and 3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.