1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Here a greenie...there a greenie...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Everywhere there are greenies. Of course they don't like to stay in one place when I walk up, so I have to deal with them flying a bit further away, but it's ok.

First he starts off on the little island creeping along
    [​IMG]

Then he rests on a stick in the normal pose
    [​IMG]

Then apparently the foot falls asleep so you gotta wake it up
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

2. Beautiful set Dave.

3. Well Done Dave

If he finds a place where he is successful He will be back.

4. Great shots Dave!

I hope you don't mind a suggestion about the cropping, but you can make the last two even more interesting by cropping off the RHS so the branch enters the frame from the lower RH corner and a little off the top. That will do 2 things - make a stronger lead in to the bird and place the bird closer to a "rule of 1/3's" position. If you have it, add a little more scene on the LHS to give the bird more "room" to look into. I see a lighter green diagonal, running approximately upper right to lower left and this is good in that is runs opposite the stick.

Net result is the stick leads the eye to the bird, the bird's gaze leads the eye off to the left and the eye follows the frame around to upper right down the green vs green diagonal back to the bird (or conversly, fro lower left to the bird). The viewer's eye is then "guided" by overt (stick) and covert (line separating the greens) means to look at the entire image.

Maybe you will agree with this analysis or not, but I hope it helps...

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very good shots Dave. I agree with Nick's cropping suggestions regarding movement of the subject a little so that it is not quite so centered, but you got the hard part (the image capture) just right. :smile:

6. Very nice!!

Jose

7. Dave,
    Very nice captures. Where did you shoot this greeny? Just curious. My guess is Chattahoochee...

Thanks,
    Sam

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2007
  8. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great sequence Dave.

9. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yup, they like this place...and they keep coming back.

10. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Actually Sam I shot it at a pond in John's Creek off Hwy 141. My wife works in there and there's a sidewalk that goes all the way around it. The pond is littered with tons of geese and ducks, and just lately there are about 4 greenies that hang around also...they are my new subject to shoot at right now as they are the most interesting thing.

The other day when I was shooting these I ran across a snake, so have to be a bit careful. I also scared either a hawk, eagle, or an owl in a tree. I didn't get a chance to even get my camera up before it was gone in the trees. I looked for it but I think it flew away for good.

11. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks for the advice GB. Normally I just crop it in the center and then make it bigger than 800 pixels so that when I put the image on the web and it sizes it down to 800 it looks a bit sharper than a full 100% crop. I will put in some new crops after this message, so tell me what you think.

Thanks to all for looking and commenting!

12. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Here are some different crops of #2 and 3 from above.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Perfect!!

14. Much, much better - you've turned a snap-shot into a photograph!

15. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Thanks Nick and Frank.

16. Nice post Peet good detail and color. Sometims if you have the time to move a focus point so you can place the bird where you want it is great but sometimes you just grap as in wildlife what you see is what you get. You were lucky you had enought of the photo in focus to make the change. I have had this happen but where it would put my subject OOF so in PSCS I would make a blank layer a little bigger size as the photo and copy and paste the photo on to the new blank layer. I would than flatten and clone some of in your case the water over to the blank side and recrop. Works good and the subject stays in focus.
    Lou

17. Thanks. I had been to that pond. I took pictures of some ducks in last winter. Can be approached from two office parkings. There is a nice arbor there as well.

18. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I don't know if I've seen the arbor or not, but I have just noticed these green herons popping up there here these past couple of months. I believe a pair nested here and these pictures are of their young which were born earlier this spring. I have seen either the father or the mother (they have the really orange legs and more colorful chest/neck) around occasionally, but mostly just the juveniles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.