Here comes Summer

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Beezle, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Kids finally done with pre school and pre-pre :confused: school and it's warm out so...

_D219445-web.

_D219454-web.

Was a shame I didn't get more of Gabriel and this is the first time he finally let himself go and enjoy the wet fun. Reason was I was nervous. Like there was something dangerous lurking a few feet behind me.

_D219462-web.

They won't survive the night. It's either them or mortal danger and epinephrine injectors. Easy choice. Took every bit of nerve I had to stand there and take that photo. I hate being afraid of them, but it's well founded.

2. Great shots of your boys and I fully understand the feeling on the hornets. Give me one on one with a snake any day over a swarm.
    Dave

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yikesss glad you got those. Not good to get bite.

The pics of the boys are just super
    What fun

4. Thanks Gale and Dave.

These seem a rather tame species. Much more tame than paper wasps. I mean that nest must have been there for a few months and nobody got stung.

But just a single wasp sting is enough to cause me trouble. A nest full over my door is just too much to tolerate.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Not that my children sympathize. They overheard me working out the plan of attack with my wife and got upset that I was going to kill baby bumblebee! :rolleyes:

So now I'm making up a story how they are moving to another house. Yeah, that's it. :wink:

7. Nah, they're just mud wasps, not aggressive at all! The biggest problem is they like to get down on the lawm when there are water droplets to drink and then you step on one - ouch! Been there done that!:frown:

8. I think they are paper wasps.

Last time a paper wasp stung me, by the time I drove myself to the hospital I couldn't talk. I had to write "wasp sting help" on someone's desk so they knew to give me something to stop it.

That was a single, ordinary dark brown paper wasp (this was in Ohio).

So while these are fairly easy going, they must die. :biggrin:

9. Just went hunting and found four nests. One was under the arm of a chaise lounge, which posed the real hazard in that they would have felt threatened by someone sitting there.

Odd year in that we usually have a yellow jacket problem, but I have to see one this year. Maybe the wasps, which are predators, hunt them? That they are predators is probably why they aren't as aggressive.