1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Here comes the P6000 - the G9 killer!?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by califlefty, Jul 4, 2008.

1. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    Great news if the specs are true. [​IMG]

Specs include a 13.5 MP sensor, 28-112mm 4X zoom, VR optical image stabilization, Raw Mode, ISO to 6400, and an optical viewfinder.

See http://luminous-landscape.com/whatsnew/

2. As long as it doesn't have the butt-slow AF and shot-to-shot performance of most recent Nikon P&S cams, this would be a great candidate to replace my Fuji E900. Something about this smells a bit fake though.

3. No - it isn't fake. But if they don't clean up the noise issues and the CR issues, it will probably be "business as usual". At least they got the raw part right!

Incidentally, I have been shooting Nikon since my first Nikkormat 35 yrs ago, but my P&S cameras are all Canon.

I have a G5 for me and two smaller Powershots for rest of family. I love Nikon SLR gear - but P&S? Let's just say that I have been disappointedf too many times by Nikon to get too excited about any new P&S.

I hope I am wrong.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I'll be keeping my eye on this one. Raw at last . . . :biggrin:

5. jadog2

jadog2

Dec 18, 2007
    SF
    I like the idea of this cam. Only problem with the past 5k and 8k series cams were the slow write speeds and AF.
    Hope this one is better.

Jason

6. i hope it'll be a winner
    i continue to be amazed about Nikon...
    they can make (arguably) the greatest DSLR (at this moment in time)... but cannot make a single P&S that is well-thought of... i mean the majority of nikon aficionados here own canon or some other brand of P&S...

maybe THIS will be the one

7. snegron

snegron

Jul 29, 2007
    SW Florida

If only Nikon (or any other camera maker) can produce a compact point and shoot that has similar shot to shot speed as a DSLR I would buy it in a heart beat.

My idea of the perfect point and shoot is one that would be as tough as an Olympus 1030 SW, can capture in RAW, quick DSLR-like speed from shot to shot, both rear panel display as well as optical viewfinder, little or no noise at ISO 800, and VR. Even if that "dream camera" is only 8 megapixels I would be extremely happy.

I think that what I want is a digital rangefinder... :) 

8. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    I hope it can use the TC3....this is the first Nikon CP to have my interest since I got a CP4500 which I still use. If this camera is just close to a D40 in focus spead and write times, man it could be a market killer. Judging from what Nikon has done in the past year, it just might be:) 

9. yamo

yamo

Jun 28, 2007
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Uh, I think the G10 is the G9 killer.

Cheers,

-Yamo-

10. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Thanks to the G10 the G9 prices have come down in the used market. I picked up a brand spanking new G9 for $350 and I am happy with it.

11. gotta admit that canon knows how to make a good PnS. its alright though, cuz there isnt a rule that every genre of electronic we own has to be a single brand. i'd rather have nikon focus on dslrs, and leave the point and shoots and camcorders to sony and canon. you want a pickup truck, get a ford. a sports car?? bmw. a DSLR?? nikon. a point and shoot? canon. want everything the same brand? own samsung, since they seem to make EVERYTHING nowadays!!

12. Bradford O

Bradford O

Feb 16, 2007
    Olympia, Wa
    If only the G10 were to have the swivel LCD like my G2, I'd jump for it. It's baffing to me why Canon dumped the swivel tilt LCD in later G models. That was one of the the camera's most useful and endearing features, great for macros, great for taking pictures of food in fancy restaurant. The G2, despite its dismal battery life, still serves as a walkabout camera when I don't want to pack a Nikon DSLR.

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Yes, but I'd rather have a Nikon P&S so I can use Capture NX2 for all my RAW shots. As it is, I've just ordered a Canon P&S.

14. thats what photoshop ACR is for!! but i agree, if nikon did come up with a competitive P and S, i'd probably pick one up too. but they dont, so its also canon for me...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.