Here is one I took with my D3s

I finally got out and took a few pictures seeing that the weather is still not as warm as I would like it to be to take pictures but this weekend, the weather is calling for sunny skies, in the low to mid seventies and I am taking advantage of doing some shooting with the D3s. I really want to see what she can really do. I love this camera sooooooooo much. My 16 yr old car freak wants me to take him up to Richmond to see a place called Performance Auto Sport to look at some of their muscle cars they have for sale and take some pictures for him. I am really looking forward to this opportunity to have some fun with my brand new Taurus SHO.

This picture is of the New 2010 Ford Taurus SHO model with every amenity that you can get for it. If you Ford fans have not had a look at the new SHO, you have to check it out for yourself and for those of you who are not Ford fans, you must see this baby. I can almost guarantee that you will fall in love with it the second you sit in it and take a test drive with it. Get the salesman to show you the heated contour massage seats for both passenger and driver. It also has what is called the "MyKey" where you program an extra key to how you would like to see your teenager drive. I saw this at a car show here in VB recently and I didn't pay any attention to it because Ford had it on a high pedastal3 and didn't wanted all those people sitting in it and marking it up. After all, the prices go as high as 45,000 when loaded to the gill like the one I got with 20 inch wheels. They really make the car look sporty but don't let that fool you. It is huge insided and even has heated rear seats that my little ones love.

The one I am showing you here was taken straight out of the camera with no pp but really wanted to get rid of the blue tint to it but instead wanted you all to see it as is and advise me as to what I should do next time I shoot to keep the tints at a minimum or how to not get them to not show up at all. Is there a setting I could have used with the camera that would have made it less of a blue tint?. I know it can be corrected with PS but wanted to show it as I said right out of camara.

Thanks for any help you can share with me.

All Exif info is available on Pbase.com

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

122793092.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I don't get it. The D3s is a great camera and the SHO is a great car but both those pictures could have been taken with a D70. So it's way too much camera in this case! LOL

Just kidding... I want a D3s soooo bad!

Congrats!

I don't get it. The D3s is a great camera and the SHO is a great car but both those pictures could have been taken with a D70. So it's way too much camera in this case! LOL

Just kidding... I want a D3s soooo bad!

Congrats!

Not really Dave. I wanted the high iso but I thought I would try it outside during the day as well to see what it does. I am amazed at the high iso shots I took inside last week. I took pics of my daughter and son and my kitty cat. Still waiting for the warm weather when I can get out more often such as this Sat going to Richmond for a joyride and shooting day.

Nice shots with a great camera.

Not particularly a Ford fan but I respect ford for not having there hand out for bail-out (at least not here in Canada).

Most of the time I prefer to shoot raw using one of the presets, either 5260K or Cloudy. When I'm in a hurry, the light is odd, and I want a fairly close, scene specific WB, I use the quick & dirty method. I don't recommend this method for anything "Pro", but for shots like the one posted, it works surprisingly well.

Point the camera at anything that is as near a neutral white or gray color in the same light as the subject and shoot a Pre-WB shot. It doesn't have to be a perfect WB target. Use whatever is handy. The later models from the D200 up have this amazing ability to get the WB very close even if the WB target isn't very good. It is usually much better than the wrong WB or even Auto-WB. (although I understand the D3s has a much better Auto-WB capability than older models)

In your situation, I would have pointed the camera at the side of the white car or the side of the gray house and quickly shot a pre-WB shot first and then shot the cars and house. Your resulting JPG images WB would not have been spot on, but it would have been surprisingly close and better than what you used. Try this inside as well and see for yourself. Go into the kitchen or other room with a lot of flourescent/incandescent lighting and shoot an Auto-WB image. After that use the flourescent/incandescent WB preset and shoot a shot. Next set the camera to pre-WB and shoot the same scene setting the quick & dirty pre-WB. It doesn't even have to be a neutral subject. Finally, shoot the subject using the "quick & dirty" pre-WB setting you just recorded. Most of the time this quick & dirty WB setting will be amazingly good for SOOC images shot in wierd light.

On the D3 one can also go into the camera's Retouch Menu and use the Color Balance option to quickly modify the image colors in-camera, saving the change as a separate image before downloading to the PC. Try it out, the D3s has even more retouch capability to do this than the D3.

Congrats on your fantastic new tool!

or try Calvin, Outside I use 5600 or 5900K on my D700 almost all the time.
Yes, she might also experiment using a Kelvin :D preset value. I tend to use 5260K ~5600K a lot outside.

I am a Ford man and that is one sweet family sedan. Looking forward to seeing some of your muscle car shots from this camera.
As mentioned, a WB change will fix things to taste. I shoot raw and tailor shots to taste for each use.

Catz, the top one is pretty easy to fix in NX2 if you use that. Pop a white point onto the left rear pillar, between the left rear window and the back window. You can also try switching the WB to Daylight|Cloudy in NX2 for a quick fix to both of them.

You said this was straight out of the camera, so I'll make a pitch for shooting RAW, or if you really want the JPEG out of the camera, shoot RAW & JPEG. You can send the RAW to one card and JPEG to the other if you like.

Either use Cloudy or a Kelvin WB as suggested, or if Auto routinely does this under cloudy conditions, dial in some blue offset to the Auto setting.

It is also underexposed by about a half stop or so to my eye.

Latest threads

Top Bottom