Here we go again!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Backdoctor, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Well, we have another hurricane heading our way. I'm at work. Mary is out getting supplies. Tomorrow, clean up around the house, get ready to button it up with wood again. Damn, just painted it all, and it looked so good.

Hope the new screen enclosure holds, that was just put up and cost me $16k.

Ah well, the wonders of living in Florida.

2. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Harris,

Be safe! You (as well as all in the path of Wilma) will be in our thoughts and prayers....If you need anything....Yell, and we'll come to your rescue!

3. GaryW

GaryW Guest

... and Texas... and Louisiana.....and Mississippi....and Alabama....

Good luck, Doc.

4. Let's hope that it will be a small one if it comes ashore in populated areas. Stay safe.

5. thanks all, the good part so far, it is just a 2-3 mile eye with winds extending out 15 miles from center. If it hits just south of expectations it can be an easy one for us, otherwise, we're on the worst side of it.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I am still watching it. Hoping it will NOT come our way. GRRRRR

Enough already for all that have been so hard this year. Florida has escaped the worse so far.
    Never seen one this late in the year.

Keeping my fingers crossed, this whole forcast will change.

Hang in there all.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    It sure seems like this hurricane season will never end! I know the season runs til the end of November officially, but Wilma is already the end of the alphabet list of names for the year. - and there's more than a month left!

Anyway - take care, be safe, and we'll all be hoping for a quicker turn that takes it even further south to miss Florida.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

9. Harris, my thoughts are with you and yours - gee all you folk have had a real rough time of it this year. Hope that is all withers and dies off before it reaches you.

10. As I read it, the extremely tiny eye was simply an indicator of the extreme intensity of this storm - i.e. it was very tightly wound. The latest discussion from the NHC says:

THE INNER
    5-MILE-WIDE EYE OF WILMA IS WEAKENING WITHIN TWO OUTER EYEWALLS...
    ONE 10 MILES WIDE AND ANOTHER ABOUT 45 MILES ACROSS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 60 MILES... 95 KM...
    FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
    TO 230 MILES...370 KM.

AGREEMENT AMONG THE TRACK GUIDANCE MODELS...WHICH HAD BEEN VERY GOOD
    OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS...HAS COMPLETELY COLLAPSED TODAY.

BUT IF WILMA
    CONTINUES TO MOVE MORE TO THE LEFT THAN EXPECTED...SUBSTANTIAL
    CHANGES TO THE OFFICIAL FORECAST MAY HAVE TO BE MADE DOWN THE LINE.
    NEEDLESS TO SAY...CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST TRACK...ESPECIALLY THE
    TIMING...HAS DECREASED CONSIDERABLY.

For complete details, look here.

11. yeah, earlier today I heard the eye was 50 mile across, and winds were clocked in the 190's. They expect it to come ashore a Cat4 and stay that way as it crosses the state. How much does that suck? :frown:

12. a lot....
    My father's wedding was scheduled for Saturday.....

13. he must be wondering if this is a sign from above? :confused:

14. Please keep in mind that the eye is the area of calm in the center around which the maximum winds whirl. The size of the eye has little to do with the storm's strength, as long as it is well defined. And all hurricanes weaken quickly upon encountering land, so I'm sure it can't remain a Cat 4 all the way across Florida.

However, let me wish you the best of luck, and take all precautions!

15. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    The best of luck to all of you in the storms possible pathway. You are all in our family prayers.

16. I am glad that I have not retired to Florida. Good luck in whatever you do.

These seem to have been caused by the warming up of the seas in the South / West Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.

Our thoghts are with you all. Bob F.

17. thanks all. We had the house buttoned up. Friends came and put up the wood on all the windows. Ready for Wilma, Betty, Fred and Barney now...

18. Best wishes

I will add my wishes that all goes well for those of you in Florida. We have other friends there who we are also concerned about - chin up and "No Worries!"

19. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Stay safe Harris! Your family too. And all y'all other Floridians too!

20. Wish I could do a live video feed from here during the storm. Would call it Molevision. All windows are boarded up.

:frown: