Here we go...

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by Stef, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I am this close (thats really close) to pushing the "buy" button on an iMac. I have been thinking about it for some time now, but not really seriously... until Monday. We went to the Apple store :eek:  to have an iPhone looked at because it was acting up (they replaced.. no questions asked) Anyway.. I was playing with the 24" iMac and well... now I MUST have one.:Love:

Now my biggest concerns are how I will learn to use it and software. I don't have alot of money invested in software, so I guess that really isn't a problem and I do have a windows laptop that I could use. I guess it boils down to the learning curve. For some reason it scares me! :tongue: I can usually figure most things out on a windows machine.. but that is because I have always used a windows machine. I could always come here and ask all my questions, but I don't really want to be a pest.

So I guess more than anything, this post is serving as myself talking to myself, debating if I should just do it already!?

So what do you all think?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Well, you are asking the question in the Apple section . . . :biggrin:

Anyhow . . . do it. I made the switch almost 2 years ago and couln't be happier.

3. I think you should go for it. you will be very happy with it. don't worry about having to "figure out" the software, you open it up, and it just comes to you. (at least it did to me) Lol

And while your at it, you should buy me one :smile: I live in Colorado, I will drive down to get it so as to save you money on shipping. ha ha

4. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks guys...

I also forgot.. do you HAVE to use the apple mouse? It's like missing buttons. :tongue: Can I use a regular mouse with it?

5. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Suuuure.. I will let you know when it gets here and you can hop in the car and drive on down! :wink:

6. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    24" is the way to go. You will like it.

Make sure you bump up the RAM to 4gb from a 3rd party vendor.

The apple mouse has buttons galore.. they are just hidden.

Have fun!

7. Stef, no you don't. Oddly enough I use a multi button Microsoft mouse! I have never liked Apple's mice since they generally adhere to form over function!

8. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Yes, 24" is a must with me. I have a 22" monitor on my current desktop and don't want to go smaller.

The ram... yes I will go thru crucial.com for that. I will max it out at 4 like my current desktop.

Ooooh it's in my shopping cart.. I'm just trying to make myself push the "buy" button. Hubby tells me "do it! do it!" He says it will be my anniversary present (which happens to be on the 25th of this month.. 7 yrs!) That means that he forgot about it until just now... :biggrin:

9. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    >>push<<

10. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    Thank you Ray.. how are you?

I don't know, but even just the little time I spent messing around with it at the apple store it just didn't "feel" right. If that makes sense. :confused: 

11. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    You Seattlites... twisting my arm! (I'm from Everett, so you are forgiven!) :cool: 

12. Stef, don't worry about the software, it looks the same on Mac as it does in Windows. Take for example Elements looks and operates the same in both.

13. Sometimes I think Apple does not use features and tools simply because it's already used in the PC so they come up with really awkward things just to avoid mimicing. I use a Kensington trackball from a PC. The Mac software is smart enough to recognize it and adjust. I switched to Macs a bit over two years ago and am pleased with my choice. Recently I installed Parallels for a DAM software package to use with NX and a geneaology package. With the Mac it's all pretty much a no brainer, much less maintenance. The biggest annoyance for me is Finder; again it seems as if they went out of their way to design something "slick" but not as useful as it could be. I prefer two panel file managers using one for "from" and the other for "to." Another quirk of finder is collapsing width columns. Every time you open Finder you have to adjust the width of columns manually. With photography I always use fairly wide columns.

14. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I understand it looks the same under both systems.. it's the having to go out and buy it for a mac that gets me. Luckily I never bought CS3 like I wanted to.. and I do have Elements 4.0... so I could just go get the newest Elements for Mac. Honestly, I have been doing ZERO photography lately, so who knows what I would actually need to install as far as editing software.

15. Well, I must respectfully disagree with all who say, essentially, "Don't worry. Be happy." It is unlikely that it "will just come to you". There is a learning curve.

You currently use a Windows-based laptop. You have undoubtedly developed some competence using it. Some of those skills will transfer to the Mac. Others will get you in trouble and frustrated.

Here are my standard recommendations for anyone making the switch to the Mac:
    - Don't get frustrated. The Mac is easy to use but it is a piece of complex technology and it is DIFFERENT from your Windows system. Take some time to get to know the new system before you do anything time critical or complex.
    - Buy one of David Pogue's Missing Manual books. Once again, there are just enough things that look similar to Windows but are different to get you very frustrated.
    - Hang out here. Lots of friendly folks to help you out. You are not alone.

16. deal. you let me know then i will be there in a couple hours! ha ha

Thanks stef :biggrin:

17. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    :biggrin::biggrin: I did it! To all that helped me make the decision.. thank you.. (I think) and hope you don't mind when I end up back here asking a million questions!

I wonder when it will get here!:confused: 

18. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    CONGRATS!

I recommend this for RAM.

Also.. Go for simplicity... like me

A Seattleite:biggrin::biggrin:

19. Congratulations, Stef!!!

Oh, yes, I understand your feelings. I remember the night that I was driving home from the Apple store with my brand-new G5 iMac in the back of the car, thinking, "oh, what have I done, I've gone to the Dark Side!" I had cut my teeth on DOS and Windows, I knew them from the ground up...what was I DOING, going to this whole other strange OS??!!!

I set up my new iMac and the first surprise was how easily it hooked right into the wireless network. Wow! Next was how easily I was able to sit down and just start using the thing, with very little of the stress I'd anticipated. I'd bought two or three books in preparation for this Big Move and actually it wasn't until a week or two later that I needed to even open one to look up one thing when I couldn't figure out how to do something..... THAT surprised me, as I'd anticipated this huge learning curve.

Some things are different with a Mac, some things are surprisingly similar. What I found more often than not was that the Mac was indeed quite intuitive in a way which Windows just isn't. Experiment a little and if you don't get the desired results, look for the answers either on Google or in one of the excellent books available. David Pogue's MISSING MANUAL: Leopard is the one you'll want since you're buying a new Mac.

The night I brought that G5 iMac home for the first time I had two Windows-based PCs and a Windows-based laptop in the household. Within a month I had replaced that Windows-based WIN XP Pro laptop with a shiny new Powerbook because I realized that if I no longer wanted to use Windows at home I sure as heck wasn't going to want to use it on the road! Not long after I made my first forays into the world of Mac, intel-based machines arrived on the horizon. They, too, eventually arrived in my household. The Windows machines are long gone. This is now an all-Mac household.

Warning (and this is true for me and many, many others): Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

:smile:

20. Stef

Stef

Nov 1, 2005
    Peoria, AZ
    I did order the ram from crucial.com. I'm almost certain it will arrive before the computer does. Isn't that just the way it works? :tongue:

Yes, simplicity is nice. I like your set up ALOT. I don't think that my new puter will fit on my current desk since my current 22" monitor is cutting it close. Guess that gives me a good excuse to get that really nice desk I saw at Office Max the other night! :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.