Here you go Uncle Frank!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PGB, Feb 26, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I created this forum with you in mind. I know how you really want that 85 1.4 :)

2. now we just have to post photos, specs and images from some 300mm f4's, perhaps an 85 f1.4 among others. Here's my input:

all with that sweet 300 f4 and my 1.4x either handheld or on a monopod.

How's the lust now UF? :lol:

3. Uncle Frank isn't the only one who wants the 85mm f1.4 lens. To me this is the perfect portrait lens.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Harris, that first one just amazes me.

Gordon,

I think you are right. The 85 1.4 is on my short list too!

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The Nikkor 85 1.8 isn't exactly chopped liver! (pic)

B&H lists it for $345 including rebate, vs a cool grand for the 85 1.4.
    I dunno, this shot's pretty sharp. Shot with D70/85 1.8

6. Perfect, Patrick. Now I can drive myself crazy on a public forum :?.

7. 85 1.4 "D"?

Do you know what the "D" stands for in 85 1.4D? "Delightful" :D

Here's a sample:

Keep in mind that's a studio shot at f5.6 and it's sharper than other lenses at f11 (just look at the eyelash detail in this reduced size shot - you can count them). :p

Joe

8. Re: 85 1.4 "D"?

Joe. Don't forget that the subject is delightful too. Proud father eh :!:

9. Re: 85 1.4 "D"?

Dao, I have it on good authority that she takes after her mother. Nowhere near "creepy" enough to take after Joe :wink: .

Hey, Joe, evertime I see this shot it reminds of just how good it is, both the shot and the lens.

Thanks,

10. Re: 85 1.4 "D"?

Thanks to both Dao and Bill. Well only thanks to Bill after the creepy part. :D

Joe

11. Re: 85 1.4 "D"?

Ya know, Joe (you've never heard that before have you :?: ), reputation follows you, never to be lost. Lizzy hung that on you, and now it is yours and yours alone....... Must make you a riot at Halloween, eh :?:

12. [​IMG]

Did someone say 85 1.4? Not the most handsome subject (he's rather plump) but he does a great job of showing off the sharpness @ f/2.

Got mine a couple weeks ago for the bargain price of $650 used :p *neener neener Dave* Now if I only had some sun to work with or better subjects to shoot.

[​IMG]

One more at f/2.5. Buy it. You know you wanna.

13. Hey guys, I mentioned it elsewhere but the gent I bought the 35mm f/1.4 from either is just about to or has put his 85mm f/1.4 up on eBay. It's a manual version, but with this lens it shouldn't matter that much. Anyway go for it! You might get it for a lot less than the thousand or so it costs as an autofocus. The fellow is very nice and has about 1000 positive remarks and no negative ones.

Rich