Here's the Scenerio

My D7000 quit responding with my Sigma 17-50/f2.8 attached. The lens will auto focus but the shutter will not work. I switch to manual focus and after focusing the shutter will work. So, I put the Sigma lens on my D300s. It never fails to work set to auto focus. After that I try 3 other lenses on the D7000. It never fails to work set to auto focus. I put the Sigma back on the D7000 and it intermittently works and fails. I can't conclude it's the lens because the Sigma works perfectly on the D300s. I can't conclude it's the camera because none of the other lenses fail to work on the D7000. Any theories?

I recently bought an older Sigma 28-70 F2.8 at a really good price. It won't work on my D90 unless I unlatch the lens and click it into place each time I turn the camera on. It works perfectly on my old D70S.
3rd party lenses don't always have the precise resistances required by Nikon electronics, sometimes they will work 50/50 depending on conditions.
I believe it is the lens that is not 100% compatible with that body/firmware version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you, Desmond. I have used it a couple of years on that D7000 with not a glitch. Then, all of a sudden it doesn't want to connect or something. Thank you for the input.

Thank you, Desmond. I have used it a couple of years on that D7000 with not a glitch. Then, all of a sudden it doesn't want to connect or something. Thank you for the input.
Ok, I'd imagine that if it is only that lens and body combination I'd most likely suspect something going out on the lens rather than the D7000 - but I could be wrong of course :)
I had a Tamron 17-50 F2.8 that started giving trouble with the "F--" error. I think it was due to me unclipping the lens hood each time I put it away, it was a really tight fit and I think it twisted the lens too much each time and eventually I could slightly twist the lens either direction to make the error come and go.

That also reminds me that I don't get an error message of any kind. Today it fired every time I tried it. Yesterday I couldn't even hold my mouth right and make it fire.

This kind of intermittent behavior has been seen, personally by me, on D200/D300/D800. In all cases I believe it was "gunk" on either the lens mount, camera or lens. A thorough cleaining with Deoxit resolved the problem. I now clean all the mounts every couple of months. Even though they look clean "by eye" it is quite amazing how much "gunk" is deposited on the Pec Pads I use for cleaning.

My theory, heavy emphasis on "theory" since I have zero clue :eek:, is that as the cameras have gotten newer and more precise, they have become more sensitive to the added "gunk" that shows up from normal use. What amazes me most, and perhaps Desmond can help shed some light, is how dirty these get even when you are not changing the lenses that often.

This kind of intermittent behavior has been seen, personally by me, on D200/D300/D800. In all cases I believe it was "gunk" on either the lens mount, camera or lens. A thorough cleaining with Deoxit resolved the problem. I now clean all the mounts every couple of months. Even though they look clean "by eye" it is quite amazing how much "gunk" is deposited on the Pec Pads I use for cleaning.

My theory, heavy emphasis on "theory" since I have zero clue :eek:, is that as the cameras have gotten newer and more precise, they have become more sensitive to the added "gunk" that shows up from normal use. What amazes me most, and perhaps Desmond can help shed some light, is how dirty these get even when you are not changing the lenses that often.
I appreciate the insight. A good cleaning is surely in store for the contacts on all my lenses and my cameras.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom