Heron, Ducks and Osprey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Finished processing a few more shots from this past Saturday shooting with Gale. These are flight shots. I really wanted to practice on Ducks but there weren't a lot of opportunities to do so. I struggled a bit with the D2X maintaining focus or even acquiring focus if it were a dark bird flying against a busier background. As long as they were in the sky it wasn't much of a problem. Haven't upgraded the firmware but plan to and test it again at Viera.

This I considered a lucky shot. To get 2 Green Herons in flight: one landing and one taking off. 300/f4 + 1.7x
    [​IMG]

Here are 3 flying duck shots. Two were in the same sequence (Machine Gun Mode) and another.
    [​IMG]

I liked the symmetry in this shot
    [​IMG]

Take off (note the Glossy and the Morehen beak in the shot :smile: )
    [​IMG]

And then the day wouldn't be complete without an Osprey shot or 2 or 3
    slight crop
    [​IMG]

no crop
    [​IMG]

no crop (clipped the wing but liked how he was looking at me with those menacing eyes!)
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy! Still have more to process and post!

2. Oh my gosh Kevin these are great. Have you down loaded the new firmware yet? I am hoping this will help with the tracking. Great job on these. I really love them all.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Oh good grief. Does it never end?!?? Can't you go shoot some pigeons or something? :biggrin:

And I thought you had a bad day. :rolleyes:

4. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Excellent Kevin. Give me a call if you get out to Viera this weekend.

5. Hi Jim! Thanks for the kind words! No, I haven't even downloaded the firmware yet. I've never done it before so I'm a bit nervous. Watching the threads to see how it goes for others. So far it seems promising.

Thanks again for commenting!

6. LOL, Frank! Guess it wasn't such a bad day afterall! :biggrin: You know, in reality, I'm just trying to do my part to entice others to join Merritt Island III. We really do have a goldmine here for birding! I'm having a blast!

7. Will do, my friend! Hope to try your 500 again, if you'll let me! :cool:

8. Oh, and just to clarify, the Osprey shots were on the way out of the wetlands as we were going to lunch. Had to stop the car and shoot straight up. :smile:

9. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    no problem.

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

well done Kevin!!
    Yeah it keeps getting better and better around here, makes it a joy to come to the Cafe

Harry, Keep him away from MY 500 !! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

11. Thanks Ben! Well, I'm kind of competitive and just feel like I need to try to keep up with you. That rock's kinda heavy though. :rolleyes:

I'm really enjoying seeing all the great pics being posted too. We've got a great community here.

Thanks for looking and don't worry about that 500. Harry likes me better than you anyway. :tongue: I'll take good care of it. :wink:

:biggrin: :wink: :biggrin:

12. These are all outstanding Kevin, the detail you've caught against that blue sky.....

Have to say, the third one made me laugh - 'faster than a speeding bullet'
    :biggrin:

13. Kevin Excellent love the shots of the incoming and outgoing GH. Those ducks are sure hard to track arent they they move so darn fast. Another great series

14. Thanks, Puzzle! I was really hoping to get some good practice on the duckies. Hope this weekend provides better opportunities. Thanks for looking!

15. Thanks, Mike!

I agree, the ducks are pretty tough. I got lucky with the group shots. They just flew across the sky and I saw them coming in advance. My challenge is getting the camera up and to lock focus before they're too far out of range. Seeing them coming in advance is a much easier, but far rarer, opportunity.

Always up for the challenge, though! :wink:

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Really Great Kevin.

We going to go birdie hunting this weekend :>)))

Come on over !!!!!!!!

17. At this point, that's my plan. Was going to PM you later once I'm certain but it looks like it. Gotta get some more shots to post! :wink:

I'll holler! (Harry mentioned he'd go. Should try to get ahold of Trish, too. There are other members here from that area, we should try to contact them, too)

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Kevin ,
    How about Harris and Steve :>))

19. Well Kevin I have to say the duck shots are great.. The Osprey are even better..

A question for you.. How do you deal with the bright whites of the Osprey whilst it is flying around.. I had a problem with the whites being urned out when I tried shooting then flying around...

I was jsut shooting in Matrix metering with my D2X...

20. Thanks, Eric, for the comments! I rarely shoot using Matrix metering. Maybe I should use it but I don't. Most of my bird shots seem to be white birds or at least birds with some white in them. Normally what I'll do is start with a -0.3 and check for blinking highlights, then adjust from there if necessary. Quite honestly, the Osprey shots were taken as we were driving down the road for lunch. We quickly pulled over, jumped out and started shooting. I was afraid I'd miss the opportunity so I left the cam with the previous settings. After I realized he wasn't going anywhere, I checked the last shot for blinkies then might have adjusted. The last shot does have a blow out in it but I liked it anyway. The 2nd to last one had some small spots at 255 in PS but wasn't as bad as the last posted one.

Normally, I'll take a test shot and make adjustments as necessary. Sometimes you don't have time to do that in order to get the shot so I just "wing it".

Many use the histogram but I like using blinking highlights. Forcing myself to try getting used to the histogram though. Bottom line is do what works!