Heron Flight Shots from the Dam

Discussion in 'Birds' started by cmpalmer, Nov 14, 2005.

1. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I went to the Guntersville Dam with Frank early Saturday morning to, hopefully, get some bald eagle shots. Well, I saw them fly, but I wasn't fast enough to get a shot (although Frank got a few with his machine gun :rolleyes: ), but we had a good time. We tramped through the woods to a nice little pond, but there wasn't much around. We saw a kingfisher and a few songbirds. Finally, we went over to the river and shot a few GBHs as they flew around.

This was my first real attempt at taking flight shots with my newly acquired D70 and the Sigma 18-300mm lens. I now have even more respect for the skill it takes to get really good shots of flying birds as you track them from shadowy shores, to against the sky, to against sparkling water in the sunshine. Whew.

These are by no means great, but they were the best shots I got then. Oh well, if your first shots were perfect, there would be nothing to shoot for improving...

63203478_2b527af542.

Sorry for posting the big one, but the small version just didn't show much detail...
    63203817_d6f7564f3a_o.

63203728_be1c9b5ef0.

This guy was watching us wait for the eagles. He looks confused as to why a bunch of people were standing there in the early morning with a bunch of cameras aimed at an empty dead tree:
    63203338_ce357483e6.

The rest of my shots are here: http://flickr.com/photos/cmpalmer/sets/1364608/

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    You did quite well for your first real birdie shooting outing Chris. You are right about perfection too. We all aim for it, but never quite get there. :rolleyes:

Very nice shots. :smile:

3. I prefer the Red Cardinal myself.. :^)

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very good !!!!!!!!!

Cardinal is beautiful as well.