Heron up close at Juanita and flying kingfisher

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Sep 14, 2005.

1. I tried to get to Juanita yesterday when the sun was out but work stopped me from getting there. I did manage to stop by on my way home tonight but the clouds came in. I was happy because I was able get some very close shots of a GBH but had a hard time keeping my shutter speed up. Thank goodness for digital as I was able to use shadow recovery which helped a lot.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice GBH Jim, and I love the Kingfisher. :smile:

What lens did you use for these?

3. bfjr

bfjr Guest

good stuff, really nice GBH shots
    and the kingfisher will just burn on Harry's screen :biggrin:

4. Thanks. I used the Sigma 500 with the Nikon 1.4tc on these. I wish the kingfisher had been closer but the D2X HSC did help as this was cropped a lot.

5. So funny but I was there Monday and shot what must have been the same Heron! Psst! Let's not tell anyone else it is completely tame! It was amazing it was getting so close, didn't seem afraid at all!
    Here are a few of mine to complement your excelllent shots

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2005
  6. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Outstanding shots James. I am so jealous of that kingfisher shot.

7. You were down here on Monday and didn't say "Hello"????? Shame on you, and by the way, I recognize that Heron, but I want to know why it didn't show up last Thursday. I think he doesn't like me anymore......... :frown:

From Labor Day...
    [​IMG]

No cropping at all, I thought I might have to take the TC off.

8. Jim, I recognize the spot, the bird, and I got so sick and tired of looking at that log last Thursday.... :wink:

Just goes to show, you never know......

Nice KF, think I may need to find me one of those HSC thingies........ :wink:

9. I am sure glad that GBH does not charge a sitting fee :smile: :smile: or we would all go broke. I have seen this one by the log before but then it just started moving closer and closer. It is like Andreas said, it is not shy at all. Sorry we missed you Andreas.

Bill I really do like that HSC thingy more and more. It works well at Juanita.

Harry I love watching these kingfishers but boy are they hard to get close to.

10. Only had a day, before we went back up again, I will get back down there soon again and I will say hello for sure!

11. Really nice GBH shots Andreas. Pretty neat that you got a flying Kingfisher.