Herons and Egrets

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Dave Rosser, Nov 15, 2005.

1. A few more from my recent holiday in Texas. I am still amazed at how trusting the birds in the USA are, here in the UK 30 or 40 yards is the nearest you could get to a heron without it moving on. To get shots in the UK like the ones I got in Texas standing in the open you would have to be in a hide (blind) or practice top quality field craft.

Juvenile Yellow Crowned Night Heron

Little Blue Heron

Snowy Egret

Tricolored Heron

All with D1H/80-400VR

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hi Dave,
    They are all really good images. I do like them all.

I think perhaps the Little Blue and the Tricolor are actually, Redish Herons.

Our larger birsds seem to be easier and a bit less intimidted by us.

The smaller birds are really more skittish.
    Ibis are very skittish.

3. Thanks for the compliments:redface:. I think I stand by the my identification of the Little Blue Heron but I may well be wrong with the tricolor - Sibley's Fileld Guide to the birds of Eastern North America is not very helpful as it does not show the tricolor in non breading plumage.

4. Nice shots, Dave. These are some of the standard birds we see at Viera. I agree that it looks like a Little Blue Heron. They often will have purplish-red on their heads. Can't be positive of the Tri color but it sure looks like one to me. It seems to have a white chest. Never heard of a reddish heron so I may have to research that to see what it is.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Good shots Dave. I'll have to look at my Sibley when I get home on the first one, but it could go either way. The second definitely looks like a tricolor heron (I was taught that if you see white, it's a tricolor).

Kev, the reddish is actually an egret.

6. Ok, Harry told me about them. He says they're very rare and there's one out at MINWR (which I was fortunate enough to capture). He said he's never seen one at Viera. Still looks like a little blue to me but I'll check more just for my benefit. I'm still too new at bird ids. :wink:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Dave
    not going to get in the bird ID wars :biggrin:

Just to let you know I like the little blue and Tri the best

8. Thanks for the comments - to keep the identificaton argument going here are the pages from "The Sibley Field Guide to the Birds of Eastern North America" by David Allen Sibley, ISBN 0-679-45120-X.