Herrons at the dam - Rich

Discussion in 'Annual Alabama Sessions' started by Rich Gibson, Apr 7, 2007.

1. In my other thread I mentioned being deserted by the gang and left to my own devices. I shot three hundred images most of which were culls. I had to really baby the Bigma to get satisfactory shots. Here are the ones which are least blurry. Fortunately at one point the herron must have sensed my frustration so he came up to about 100 feet and lighted on a bouy. He stayed for about thirty seconds striking various casual poses and then left. At least I got one good shot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I couldn't let myself crop this one too much; the bird is so gorgeous in flight!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rich

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Flight shots take a ton of practice Rich :>))
    Don't ask how many I throw away.
    You did good.
    Few really nice ones there

3. Thanks, day one's bird shots were worse, & I was even closer! Near the end I got a bit more confidence.

Rich

4. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    I really like the first one, Rich. I didn't have many keepers that morning. I blamed it on the light.

5. Nice, Rich. I especially like the 1st one and #8 with the reflection of the heron in flight.

6. Thanks Dave! I was cleaning it up in CS3 and was about to crop around the bird and noticed the reflection and thought, Hey!

Rich

7. Rich you are not alone, buddy! I practice and practice, and still more practice and wonder if I'll ever get it right! Nice job for a first time trial! Keep it up, you'll only get better!

8. GBH are beautiful birds, aren't they? At times I found myself just watching them through the viewfinder and forgetting to actually press the shutter button! LOVE their gracefulness as they are flying!

I haven't yet gotten to my images from the Dam; I am not optimistic that I did too well, as I just am not that experienced at capturing BIF and the lighting was poor that day, to say the least....

These are very nice, Rich!

9. Very nice Rich, I am still sorting through mine, hoping to a find a keeper or two.