He's in the Army now.

Discussion in 'Miscellany' started by Spectre, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Yesterday my 19 year old son took his oath and is officially in the Army now. He will be heading to basic on the 26th in South Carolina... I couldn't be prouder. He signed up for a 6 year hitch.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Congratulations! That's awesome.
  3. Congrats! Is 6 years the standard now?
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Pretty awesome, thank him for his service for me!
  5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Admirable! You have a right to be proud! Hubby retired after 20 years in the Army! He's joining an elite "club"!
  6. rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Congratulations! I have fond memories of my time spent there. I enjoyed the food; all the chocolate milk I could drink and it was free. Met some interesting people, got to ride in helicopters, saw a bit of the world.
  7. I wish him the best. Many adventures in his future. 54 years ago today I was discharged from the Army..
    • Like Like x 1
  8. As a 9 year vet of active military service I have never regretted my choice. There is so much he can take advantage of in travel, education and skills training. My son has been in for ten years now and started as a buck private without much education. He now has a BS degree, a masters degree from a major university and is a Captain on track to make Major this year. Best wishes to your son.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I spent 24 years active and miss it a good deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    It's good to see so many positive replies. My son is very excited.
    He has struggled a bit finding a direction and I think the structure, training and discipline will be good for him.
    I am not sure if 6 years is the new standard, but he said he was offered 4 or 6 years, and opted for 6. I would assume there was some incentive to go for 6, but he didn' say, and I haven't asked at this point.
  11. The longer enlistment usually comes with some $$ attached and/or a particular assignment or school after basic. Hopefully he got some good advise from his recruiter.
  12. Congratulations to your son.,

I spent 20 years in the US Navy and got a great education along with invaluable experience.
  13. It's sort of like a divorce, one gets to leave the old behind and start anew.
    I liked the structure but most of all I liked the feeling that everyone you work with will do their job.
    That was my biggest shock when transitioning into civilian life; people had reasons that didn't do what they should do.
  14. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

Congratulations to your son! He'll learn so much in those six years and grow as a person. My time in the Army was well spent and helped me to grow in ways nothing else could have.

The discipline, integrity, and camaraderie will be invaluable for the rest of his life.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. As I’m reading this I’m having breakfast with my son who has 16 years in the army and full time guard and his wife who was an air force lieutenant. Welcome to the family!
    • Like Like x 1