1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hey Baby Girl!

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Seneca, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    My grandbaby Lainey! The things you see in her eyes is the window sill angles. I hated that those came out. But this is straight out of the camera...didn't want to photoshop anything.

IMGL4291LAINEYcopy.
    Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    ---    45mm    f/5.0    1/160s    ISO 250

2. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Looks fine to me Sen. And what a little cutie eh?

3. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thank you Martin...I hated that I blew out the other side of her face...but there is really nothing you can do about that...I mean it is the window and her face is on that side where the light is come out of. I think it's fine...mom will be getting an 8x10 of it.

4. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Well I'm sure mum will be just thrilled!

5. Goodness she's a sweetheart. When Carolyn and I married we'd agree she'd name the boys and I'd name the girls...we got three boys! :mad:  However they presented us with five grand daughters! :biggrin:...oh yes, and a pair of boys.

6. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    She has the biggest eyes! I think it's a nice portrait Sen, and I've noticed that what our monitors and our fancy histograms tells us about highlights, matters less when they're printed.

7. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thank you Martin...I think she will.

Awww great story Rich! Three boys sounds like us...4 boys. But I must admit 3 of those boys are my step-sons. Lainey is my step-grandbaby. However I met my husband's boys when they were very very young. I was lucky that they accepted me and to this day they are like my own. They were 6, 11 & 15. The 6 year old use to call me "mommy 2"...yes I have a wonderful relationship with my husband ex-wife...she is truly a classy lady. We've even gone to the movies together...isn't that weird? We needed to have a good relationship for the sake of the children.

That' sooooooooo true Linda. Thanks so much. BTW...your new avartar is just stunning. You belong on the other side of the camera girl-friend! You are absolutely beautiful!

8. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    My oh my.....what a perfectly gorgeous angel. I just want to kiss those cheeks till they turn blue.:biggrin: I have adored my daughters at every age, but I really miss having one exactly the age of your grand-baby.

Really great use of natural light and a wonderful photo Seneca.

I do have a critique though.....would you expect anything less.

I don't understand the straight-out-of-camera thing. At the very least you need to utilize some web-specific sharpening techniques. Just a quick smart sharpen at .3 pixels and 150% would bring her lovely eyes in to perfect focus and remove the overall mild blur from this image. Actually......I said "at the very least", but really this is all you need to do here.

Don't forget that the AA filter in your camera basically makes it impossible to get a super sharp image without a tiny bit of post work.

To retain the overall soft feel of the image just create a dup layer, sharpen at .3 pixel and 150% and then erase around the BG with a hard setting on your eraser.

Of course.....you know me.....and I'd be tempted to take it a step further and create a series of Multiply Layers to tone down the less important elements and direct stronger focus on that angelic face. This will also make your eye for lighting look even more heroic:
    2769461032_a11d273418_o.
    Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    ---    45mm    f/5.0    1/160s    ISO 250

No skin work is needed....no eye work is *needed*.....she's already perfect!

This is what I'd consider taking a perfect capture and using the tools at your disposal and your knowledge of how to use them to make an even more perfect photograph.
    25 years ago I would have employed a similar technique while printing the negative so there is nothing to be considered cheating here..........dodge and burn baby.....tools of the trade.

Yes....I am determined to do more than post anything resembling a simple "Nice Shot" in this section!! I hope you don't mind!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2008
  9. Phil

Phil

Nov 25, 2007
    Illinois
    What a great shot Sen, and such a perfect model. I saw your collage post first and was hoping you would have some other shots of her. She has such big blue eyes and is very adorable.

10. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok Stu...you totally got me...you are just amazing...you really are. I wish I could think like you. I love the image. Ok now back to the drawing board and well...try and do what you do! Thanks so much Stu!

11. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    USA
    I'll do my best to work up a screen shot tutorial on the simple steps I took to edit your image. Stay tuned..........post tomorrow if at all possible!:wink:

12. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    It's not "weird" that you have a good relationship with your husband's ex. You are incredible Seneca. Nothing like my own parents, it was all about jealousy and rivalry. (my parents are divorced)

Oh, thanks :redface: That's an old photo, which I thought would be a good avatar.

Wow, Stu's edit is perfect.

13. Lainey is gorgeous, Seneca
    you caught a great moment there
    well done

i do love stuart's thoughts as well

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.