Hey... it's a goldfinch, or...

in the warbler family. No, maybe it's a...
134655079.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm not sure just what it is but it's trying to build a nest in a metal watering can that is hanging from a pump. Personally, I think that's a bad choice because it's going to get very, very hot in that can in the coming weeks. It was doing its work this morning when it was cooler and the can was in the shade, but it has since climbed to the mid 90s here in central Georgia and I haven't seen it around since about noon.
Do you know what type bird it is?
Jarrell

Jarrell, others may disagree but I believe this is a great crested flycatcher in a non-characteristic pose. If it were a warbler, it would be a Connecticut warbler, but there are several clues that point to great crested flycatcher. GCFs are cavity nesters, which is consistent with the behavior here. The long, slightly downturned bill is consistent with a GCF. The Connecticut warbler does not have white wing bars in any of its various color phases, but the GCF does. That's my two cents worth. By the way, any photo with a bird and cool old rusty stuff is a good shot by me.

Thank you Baxter for your reply. Here is another view of the bird, a very cropped photo. I did notice, for a brief instant, that the bird had some sort of 'top notch' on the crown of his/her head. It wasn't permanent but seemed to be raised now and then. Maybe that's where the 'great crested' comes from?
134671536.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jarrell

Jarrell, others may disagree but I believe this is a great crested flycatcher in a non-characteristic pose. If it were a warbler, it would be a Connecticut warbler, but there are several clues that point to great crested flycatcher. GCFs are cavity nesters, which is consistent with the behavior here. The long, slightly downturned bill is consistent with a GCF. The Connecticut warbler does not have white wing bars in any of its various color phases, but the GCF does. That's my two cents worth. By the way, any photo with a bird and cool old rusty stuff is a good shot by me.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom