Hey, my TV died, need advice!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tjk60, Sep 23, 2008.

1. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    My 10 year old Sony 43" rear projection TV died (non-HD) and I need to buy a new one. Price is a bit of any issue in that I don't WANT to spend $$ on a TV instead of a new camera, but I need to watch my Bills (Go Bills!) on Directv!

I'm looking at 52" LCD tvs, any one have recommendations of why a certain model? (would like to keep very close to <$2K)

What do you have, and what do you like/dislike about it?

2. Well for 2K, 52" might be a stretch, but you might still be able to find a Sony XBR 4 around, last years tech, but a heck of a TV. The newer #8, i think, has LED back light, and I think a TV Guide, and maybe some type of computer connection. I do know that it is a pleasure to view my pics on the Sony, the raw files are stunning. The wife is wearing me out viewing images from 6 years ago. :smile:

3. http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN52A...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1222177456&sr=8-1

Hard to beat the deal offered by amazon.com on this 52" Samsung. I just received one and although I still have a lot to learn about HDTV, it seems to be state of the art. And the owner reviews are certainly encouraging. I got a lot of information from reading them; and other rating sites heartily recommend this model.

Good luck in your decision!

Ralph

4. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    My Dad just bought a Hitachi Director Series 53" Plasma and it is beautiful!
    It was 1500

5. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    I read Consumer Reports last week on tvs. For 42 and 52 Panasonic was top rated. Just make sure you get the 1080 P model which is ready for blu-ray.

6. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I was at Best buy looking last nite, and really like the plasmas except for the glare factor. The samsungs were beautiful.. Heading to Costco now to see wha tthey have!

7. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    The same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I bought a Panasonic 50" Plasma screen. One thing you may want to check out is the refresh rate of the LCD screen you're considering. LCD displays were developed for static display and can show pixelation during fast activity, such as sports. Some LCD TVs now have double refresh speeds to eliminate this problem. The picture is much better and the price is much higher.

However, a plasma screen can give you the same thing at a lower price. Also note some discounts at this time of year because new models are coming out and they're clearing out the old models (like my Panasonic).

8. Amarok

Amarok

Aug 25, 2008
    Prairie City OR
    Take a look at the Vizio lineup at Costco. I have two of them, 32 inch and 22 inch, and they are extremely nice sets for the money. When I was at Costco this last weekend the new 32 inch screens were only $450.

My 32 inch actually doubles as my computer monitor for my desktop as well.

9. "Hey, my TV died, need advice"

How about, bury the old set, renew your library card and rejoice at all the extra time you now have in your life!:Shocked:

Just a thought.
    Michael

10. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    I can't read any more! Between the time I spend on the cafe, and shooting, and my kids sports (4 kids x 17 different teams), travel for work, I still read 3 books a week. I need some NFL and NHL!

11. Tim: From the sound of your schedule, you need some extra time! 4 kids, 17 teams? I'd hate to see your sports equipment budget:eek:

Michael

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I was at Walmart the other day, and was quite impressed with their offerings in the 1500 range. 1080p, for 1500 bucks, how can you go wrong. Even had a nice Sony that in my view had a great image. Samsung generally pretty nice, it's really going to matter how they are setup. So, check the reviews too to make sure you don't missed a great set because it's adjusted all wrong by kids or those that know no better.

you might also check buydig.com, bh, J and R, adorama...

13. And be sure to check out VIZEO at Wally World too. I have the 42 inch one and love it. Not alot of $$ either. Also, always be sure to check the price online at Wal-Mart. The prices fluctuate there and I saved $50.00 off In Store price by ordering online and having it shipped to Wal-Mart for pickup.

14. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Based the size you are after and the price point you seek = Samsung LCD.

Just make sure it is the 120 mhz model.

Vizeo's are very cheaply made and the lowest end of the quality spectrum...stay away

15. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    ...and by the way. Make a list of programs you watch that are NOT available in HD.

When at the store, ask the sales rep to change the TV you are considering to a non HD feed....because that is what you will see on those programs at home. The result can be pretty nasty on some HD TV's.

I have a Standard Tube TV upstairs as a daily watcher for just this reason. The HD one is downstairs (108" diag :biggrin: )

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  16. Bdizz

Bdizz

Sep 16, 2008
    Oklahoma City
    Its amazing what great deals you can find now a days for an LCD and Plasma flat panel....and definitely under a 2k budget. I would stay away from Vizeo, I have seen that brand of TV on almost every HD tuner/HD DVD player to blu ray. Not impressive IMO. I would definitely stay way form DLP. Biggest waste of money. I have friends, including myself, that have gone the DLP route and ended up spending more money on a DLP SOON AFTER WE BOUGHT IT. Lamps, light engines, and color wheels are poorly designed...and have been for years now. And after warranty/and extended warranty is done, it is expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...2_Flat-Panel_SKU_8740419_IMG&id=1202650462469

Sale: $1,599.99...'nuff said. Great quality flat panel and built to impress, evenmore, LAST. Hope this helps :smile:

17. tjk60

tjk60

Dec 4, 2007
    troy, mi
    Good points all! I have discovered that Best Buy etc, model number don't line up with Costco/Walmart. That make comparing tough.

Right now I'm a little north of $2K amd considering the Sony 52" 120hz 4100 model or teh same feature in tthe samsung. Will take the wife to show her difference in plasma (glare on screen issues) vs LCD

18. Another vote for the Vizio. I've bought the 50 incher from Costco 2 1/2 years ago, and it's been terrific for sports, movies, and everything else.

Besides glare, compare viewing angles. The difference in image quality between watching an LCD screen seated vs. standing up is dramatic. No so with plasma. And the colors really pop with plasma.

19. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country

I've had a DLP going on 3 yrs and havent had any problems! I also wouldn't have a problem recomending them, which I have, or buying another one. That being said dlp's do seem to be going the way of the do-do. Like someone suggested above look for good deals on last years models. I picked up a $3000 tv for a little over $1000 just because it was last years model. Guess what...it is still one of the best tv's you can buy!
    Good luck

20. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

shot my tv and didn't watch another for the better part of 2 years ...then i backslid and gave in..lol
    :frown: