Hi Back from

Discussion in 'Birds' started by phillip 200, Jul 14, 2008.

1. My holl's with a few pic's boy was it hot in the 90's & 100's + day after day.

Phil.

spectacled-warbler sigma 800 d300
    [​IMG]
    spectacled-warbler sigma 800 d300
    [​IMG]
    squacco-heron-d300 sigma 800 HH
    [​IMG]
    sandwitch-tern-d2x
    [​IMG]
    beeeater-1-d300
    [​IMG]
    black-winged-stilt-d2x
    [​IMG]
    common-tern d300
    [​IMG]
    common-tern d300
    [​IMG]
    flamingo-d2x
    [​IMG]
    little-tern-d300
    [​IMG]
    flamingo-d2x
    [​IMG]

:biggrin::smile::biggrin:

2. that is an incredible series, don't see many post on here using that lens, I sure appreciate you sharing, do you have any experience with the 300-800 also?
    Kevin P.

3. Hi Kevin thank you, I have used the 300-800 quite a few times it is a very versatile lens but I actually prefer my prime the 300-800 is actually a smidgen sharper wide open but by f7.1 I can't see any difference the real drawback with the 300-800 for me is that it doesn't have a focus limiter.

Phil.

:smile:

4. Phil,
    thank you, I've been dreaming of getting the sigma 500 for the handheld stuff and use it along with the 120-300 2.8 but the 300-800 would give a nice reach on the FX sensor without having to use a tc. I look forward to more of your excellent work. Is the 500 you shoot a sigma also?
    Kevin P.

5. Hi kevin the sigma 500 HSM EX is an absolutely mint lens, just to really wind you up I have one of those as well it's probably my most favourite lens I use it all the time handheld if you're lucky enough to find one second-hand grab it with both hands.

Phil.

:smile::biggrin:

6. Phil, congrats on an outstanding set of images. Very well done.

7. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    Sigma 500mm handheld WOW. What shutter speed and ISO can you get away with.

8. Hi Louis thank you I do have lots of images to go through and probably will be posting in a few more over the next few weeks.

Phil.

9. Hi it depends if you're panning you can get away with a 1/60th but a faster shutter speed is always better, I always use the lowest ISO I can get away with.

Phil.

10. Nice series. Hot? In UK? :wink:

The 500 handheld? :eek:  That's definately too heavy for me to get those tack sharp pictures it is capable of. But maybe you're far better trained than me if you drag a 300-800 around. :wink:

That first common tern shot is great!

11. :Shocked:

Great photos! I'm not sure, but I would expect you to need lots of patience to get those shots off.

12. Another great series, now where did you go for your Holidays?

13. Hi Andreasb the Camargue we stayed at Saintes-Maries-de-la-Mer right on the southern coast.

Phil.

14. Hi thank you yes some of the images I took which I haven't processed yet, I spent nearly 35 hours in a hide to get.

Phil.

15. Hi Daniel the 500 is not that heavy in fact it's lighter than my 300 f2.8 AF-I nikkor and very easy to use handheld, getting reliable sharp images handheld is all about technique and balance.

Phil.

16. No doubt there are heavier lenses. It's just that I found out that I have diffuculties to hold it stable without a monopod. Maybe it's not such an issue on a bright sunny day (on which I haven't used mine at lot yet), but at least I become exhausted rather quickly without any lens support. (Supporting it on my knee might work if shooting from a low angle.)

Mh. Ok, maybe aside from going to the gym there may be room for improvement regarding my technique and maybe it'll get better the more often I shoot with it. Until then I'm happy with the pictures I got using a monopod. What a fine lens...:smile:

17. Awesome set of images Philip!! Hope you had a good holiday!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.