Hi - some of what I do for fun

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by RayGuselli, Oct 20, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Having just joined the forum and been given a very kind and warm welcome I thought that perhaps I should post some shots of the type of things I do etc.

I hope they will not be boring and I hope I can post ok.

So here goes.

All the best

Ray

ps would welcome any criticism, help and advice as I am relatively new to photgraphy and processing having started December 2004.

This is my little girl - caught at a moment of thought and developed a theme in processing.

[​IMG]

Brockhole English lake District - very drab wet and dull day

original
    [​IMG]

processed

[​IMG]

Illustrated Jaguar Car - borrowed the pics from serious wheels and processed

[​IMG]

Isle of Bute Original

[​IMG]

Processed

[​IMG]

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Nice job you did on these pics.
    Cheers

4. jln319

jln319

Oct 12, 2005
    SF Bay area
    Really nice. Love the color.

5. Very nice.

So, how long does it take for you to Post Process one of these pics?

I simply am not creative enough to come up with these.

I like the Car shot and last scenic shot.

Mark.

6. WOW......Cool Images!

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Way to go Ray !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks , You know I love them all :>)) wink wink.

So glad your posting.

Thank You

8. dheaton

dheaton Guest

Very nice images Ray. I liked your processing especially the one with the house in the background. Great use of highlights and shadows. Sorry to say but I don't believe you have only been doing this for a year. If I were to believe that then I would have to say I am behind the curve and I reallly don't want to admit that.

Thanks for sharing

David

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey David,
    Look at what vincebues did on his first try.. makes me cry.
    My kids did better finger paint than i can do. So yeah I guess it is possible. grrrrrrrrrrrr

Layers are you kidding. the only thing i can layer is a dagwood sandwich.

10. Pictures into art. You could probably teach a whole course on that...

Great images. How did you do that?

Mark

BTW, welcome to the forum.

11. Ray, you have an adorable daughter and an interesting set of images here. It's obvious you've used several different techniques to achieve your results. I'd be interested in hearing how you did these two:

Any chance you could tell us something about how you processed these?
    Isle of Bute
    [​IMG]
    Brockhole English lake District
    [​IMG]

Thanks,

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Very many thanks for the kind words. David wondered how long I had been doing this and as I said I started in December last year with my first post through Fotopic.

I have picked so much up with the help of others in dpreview, but not really in camera specific forums but retouching.

Like this forum, it seems that people are out to help each other and whilst there is often criticism, it is very constructive and helpful.

I do feel that I have picked up a lot of "tricks" in a short while, but only because of the help from others.

Some here have asked how I processed specific images and I am going to go back to dpreview as I think I have been asked the same there and posted workflows - I can then copy into here.

However, if not, then I will write the workflows and post.

For those who have asked, I have the psd files if anyone wants them - most welcome and I will always e mail.

Will post workflow later - going to work now. (You know.....that thing that gets in the way of photography!)

Best wishes

Ray

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Workflow For Bute Picture (the Other I Will Do Later)

Hi,

As requested here is the workflow for te Bute picture and which is typical of a pattern I now have.

By the way, I checked my post on dpreview and fouind that I had amended further and this was the final result.

[​IMG]

The workflow.

Using CS2

Duplicated layer

Created adjustment layer for levels - boosted the depth by moving the l/h side to the right and then brightened by pulling the r/h side to the left

Then adjusted the individual rgb channels - only did the red and blue

Move the red to the left and the blue to the right and you get a very warm reddy autumnal feel.

It should already start to look something like.

Then adjustment layer for curves and again adjust to taste this time using the RGB and individual chanels

Then I ran a layer for selective colours and adjusted to taste.

The ran unsharp mask (reverse) to taste.

Next I went to Painting with light ....THE KEY!!!!

I used the action from atncentral (thanks to Chip Springer) and applied it perhaps more than others do.

I concentrated on the tree and used the "paint light" to bring out the colours.

Used the paint dark to enhance and deepen colours as needed.

Then Iused the saturation tool in specific parts and also desaturate where it is too much.

I also created a layer mask and inserted a new sky setting the mode of the layer to darken.

I painted in some clouds using a cloud brush.

Sometimes I will, as I did in the other picture, create lots of layers, all set to different opacities to paint parts of the picture to add greens and other colours etc....but not on this one.

I also sometimes flatted the image now and then create a duplicate layer of the finished image and set the layer mode to overlay or soft light.

Then I apply a gaussian blur to the top to enhance the glow.

Then you can reduce the level of the blur by adjusting the opacity of the top layer.

Creat a layer mask and paint out (with black) any areas where you do not want the glow to be.

However, I did not do the last steps in the shot of Bute.

I hope that helps a little and am always happy to provided any more detail if needed.

Best wishes

Ray

ps will post the workflow for the other shot tonight

14. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Dude! you Rock! Your stuff, marches right to the top, then gleefully spills over it! I'm gonna play with your processing techniques, the result really is unigue and startling. That Jaguar picture - you do this for a living, right?

16. Too cool Ray... :biggrin: I love this sort of stuff !! Great work :smile:

17. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Chris - do this for a living!!!!!

Oh Chris, if only.

I runa double glazing company.

What I would love to do is this sort of stuff but who pays the bills???

I am glad that you and others like what I do as it is not to everyone's taste and I have to learn to tone down a bit. For me though I like doing it and it sortof works.

Thank you very much for the posts - very much appreciated and also encouraging.

Best wishes

Ray

PS How do I get a psd file onto this site as my host site wont allow psd's and someone suggested it as an option?

18. These are fantastic.

My brother has a vintage MGB Roadster and I'm going to try something on your "Jaguar" lines with his car. If I can get anywhere near your standard, I'll frame it and give to him for Christmas.

Only because you invited criticism: the Brockholes picture is excellent but needs work on the tree line. You can still see traces of the original sky.

19. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks Clive

Many thanks Clive - I see what you mean and will probably try and have a go at sorting when I am back from holiday.

Appreciate the advice though as for me it is the best way to learn.

Best wishes

Ray