Hiatal hernia.

Real Name
Bill
Long story short. I've been battling a hiatal hernia for almost a year now. Because of the pain and reflux it's causing me my Gastroenterologist feels it's time for surgery. The surgery involves repairing the hole through my diaphragm and performing a partial fundoplication.

Has anyone here on the Cafe had a hiatal hernia and/or fundoplication and can give me any idea of what to expect and how it went for you?

Thanks a bunch if you have some insight.

Bill

Real Name
Bill
fundoplication

Doesn't sound like FUN!
I managed mine, years ago, with diet, exercise and a few drugs. All is well now.
Good luck, Bill.

I was hoping to do the same. The tear in the diaphragm is quite large. I have another Tele-health tomorrow to talk more about it. I would prefer to just fix the tear and not do the fundoplication which is a partial wrap of the upper stomach. It's been almost a year of treatments and testing. Things aren't getting any better.

Bill, has anyone mentioned the LINX procedure? I've had a few patients have this device implanted with good results. A bit easier and more predictable than fundoplication. I suspect your large hiatal hernia would still need to be repaired with either procedure.

Real Name
Bill
Bill, has anyone mentioned the LINX procedure? I've had a few patients have this device implanted with good results. A bit easier and more predictable than fundoplication. I suspect your large hiatal hernia would still need to be repaired with either procedure.

Thanks for replying. I've read about it but I'm not sure if my GI does this procedure. When I researched it a few months ago the closest doctor I could find is in Idaho Falls which isn't too far at all. I'll ask my doctor about it when we talk today.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Prayers coming your way. Hubby has suffered with it for years. But I don't think he has a hole! He uses a wedge pillow that helps a lot. And drugs. PM for more info...........

Real Name
Bill
Best wishes for a successful procedure and that it remediates your challenges.

Thanks so much.
Aw, geez, Bill! My Dad had surgery to repair one when I was so young that I have no recollection about the details. Hang in there, buddy - good vibes beaming your way from the Grand Valley.

Thanks, I appreciate the good vibes.

Thanks Vern. Hopefully the recovery isn't too restrictive after the first couple of weeks.
Bill, from your front porch you have the most amazing views and the Wildlife which venture through your property can easily provide photo opportunities while you’re undergoing a successful recovery.

Latest threads

Top Bottom