Hibiscus Close Up.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by camerapapi, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Early this morning it was still on the hot side. I took my D2H outside armed with the 35mm f2 AIS lens.
    After using this camera for about 8 months I have learned some of its peculiarities. For instance, in bright sunlight I get the best exposures when I underexpose by 1/3 stop while in shadow areas or interiors my best exposures come when overexposing between 1/3 to 1/2 stop. This cuts down on noise considerably.
    I saw that our hibiscus plant was full of flowers and I photographed one of them. During editing I cropped to my taste and this was the result.
    I should say that the file had a soft Gaussian blur applied.
    I rarely photograph without a tripod. This time I had to because I ordered an L-bracket for the camera but it has not arrived yet. I do recommend a tripod especially for macro photography.
    Well, it seems Frank as if I am following your steps with the 35mm f2!

HibiscusI.jpg

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

2. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    lovely William
    you can feel the softness of the petals

I love the 35/2
    other than a dedicated macro or macro function
    no better lens for this type of shot

3. Frank, one of my best shots with this lens came from Grand Teton National Park. I used the lens with my D1X an early morning after we had storms the night before. The clouds were still lingering around and that made the shot. It was at Oxbow Bend.
    That picture was razor sharp.
    I like the 35mm lens but my favorite is the 24mm f2.8, also AIS.
    Best regards.
    William.

4. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Fine work William, the 35 does well in a semi macro roll.

How do you like the D2H for this sort of thing? I am thinking a used D2H will probabally be the body I eventually get to shoot alongside my D50.

5. very nice shot, william
    thanks for sharing