Critique Hibiscus close-up

I've lived across the street from my neighbor for 35 years and every summer I've admired her hibiscus bush with large blossoms that are about 8 to 9 inches in diameter. Now that I've got focus-bracketing hardware and focus-stacking software, I felt for the first time I could make a photo that would do justice to the gorgeous flowers.

Mike 2020-07-13--001-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If this is were triX film, this would be a pink or yellow flower. Other colors do not have this grey tone, they are different. I of coarse do not know what color it actually was, so I get to pick my own color. I know it is a color- so I get to pick. One of the problems I have with digital black and white conversions is they often do not render colors the same as the old films I grew up with.
Maybe it is just me, but I add my "own colors" to every black and white image I see.
What color was it?
Gary

Stunning b&w, Mike!
Beautiful textures, shapes, patterns and - of course - light.

Wouldn't that depend on the color of the filter or the lack of the filter mounted onto the lens at the time of capture?
Absolutely! Way back when, the only filters I could afford sucked a couple of stops of light- so I rarely used them. I only ever used a red, orange and yellow.
I guess I should have said: triX film, shot without filters, processed by me and printed by me with my workflow gave me black and white images that I knew what shade of gray each color would become. It wasn't anything you really studied- after a couple of years you just knew. That was one of my issues with early digital black and white- the color rendition to grays was "wrong"- at least to me memory and my eye. It has gotten much much better.
Gary

That was one of my issues with early digital black and white- the color rendition to grays was "wrong"- at least to me memory and my eye. It has gotten much much better.

I've been thinking about this and, for me, the advantage of converting to black-and-white in a digital process is that it's not limited to the relatively few colors of filters that were available to the film photographers; literally every color in the spectrum that is visible to the human eye is available for use as a filter. My point is that I don't think of converting to monochrome in a digital process as an emulation of when photographers used a color filter while exposing film.

D

Deleted member 960

Don't need a macro for a bloom that size, love the detail and tones, Mike!

Latest threads

Top Bottom