1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob Coutant, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    My wife planted this too close to the garage, and I’ve been waiting patiently for weeks for one of its blooms to face where I have to stand with the camera.
    The brightness of the flower relative to that of the leaves is unbelievable – I had to use –2/3ev exposure compensation to control the flower and then selectively use the equivalent of a screen blend to pull some of the leaves out of the background.

[​IMG]

2. Wow! That is beautiful, Bob. You lost me on the PP, though. I'm not that hard to lose though, LOL.

3. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Bob,
    Beautiful flower, however a bit dark. It looks as if the lighting was difficult due to fairly harsh sunlight.
    I believe (don't quote me on this) in CS3 at least, this could be balanced out a bit more. Did you shoot this in RAW or in JPEG?

If you would like, I could give this a try if you could post a link to the original file. It would be tomorrow before I could try.

But once again, beautiful flower.

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Thanks Tom.

Paul, you guessed right -- this was in direct sunlight. The original had severe glare from a couple of the leaves while others were completely under exposed. These blooms don't last very long -- this one was starting to wither and curl by late afternoon, so a redo under different lighting was not possible.

I appreciate your offer to re-process the image -- I've redone it a half dozen times. At least one of those was with the flower a little brighter, but, quite frankly, it hurt my eyes. I kinda like this version -- the background is recognizable, but not so much as to detract from the flower:smile:. [Now I'm back to waiting for the rain to let up and the plant to produce some more flowers that are accessible to the camera.:wink:]

Added note: Paul, I should mention that I took some shots with the area shaded -- that sometimes works well, but, in this case, it created color balance issues that were tricky to work with. A white tent to diffuse the light might have been nice.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2008
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.