Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Baywing, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I shot this hibiscus earlier this year, just felt like the cooler weather could use a warm-up. D100, 70-200VR with Kenko ext tube. Handheld, VR on. I'm not totally happy with the way the D100 handles the reds.........
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2005
  2. I'm surprised nobody's commented on this yet. I really like the colors in this flower. I'd like to see the whole thing against a black or blue background. This makes for an interesting composition as is, though!

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I had to chase the url back to your galleries Bay..I got the red X..
    Beautiful image. Looks better on Pbase with the black backgroud .

Beautiful shot. Beautiful Hibiscus. Love those colors. Unusual for tht flower. Must be a hybred.

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Same problem for me, red X until I corrected the URL in a separate browser window. When linking directly to a PBase image you shouldn't be linking directly to an internal PBase server (ie, don't right-click on the image from the PBase page and use the URL that shows up in the properties dialog). Instead, you should use the "virtual" image URL in the form of:

http://www.pbase.com/userid/imageid.jpg

filling in the user id and image id as appropriate. You can also optionally specify the image size to link to (I prefer always linking to the "original" image). For example:

http://www.pbase.com/u47/image/39960581/original.jpg

Wrapping the URL above in tags should give you an embedded image that works for everybody.

Getting back to the picture, I like it. I know what you mean about photographing strong reds like this, it's too easy to blow the red channel and lose details. But I think you did well on this one.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Thanks, I've been posting the same way all along, don't know what happened this time, or why......hmmm....

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Baywing,
    I think it was a pbase glitch.....lol

7. WOW the colors just pop on the monitor here... Bleeding Red and Orange on my monitor.. I have to wipe up the desktop..:biggrin:

Looks really sharp to me.. Also looks like you hit it with a fill flash?

8. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Yes, I did have to use a little fill. The flower was indoors at a butteryfly aviary and it was kinda dark. I try not to use more flash than I need. Sorry about the mess Eric, maybe I'll tone down the next one? :biggrin:

9. Is the yellow natural? Our H. is all red:

[​IMG]

10. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    The all red seem to be the most common, though I have now seen at least 2 other colors. I couldn't say for sure that these are naturally occurring or if they are cross-bred. The one above is hugh, almost 12" across. This one below is more normal sized, and was growing outdoors in MA:
    original.

11. Baywing, i think the flash washed away the red in the first picture. One thing for sure there's not that many real red flowers.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hibiscus come in a gazillion varities now. Down her in fla I have seen a double Grey one and many many more colors as welll. Like Bronze. :>))

Check them out on google some time. You will be amazed. They are alll beautiful.

You can grow them in containers in the house for the winter.