Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Pa, Jun 25, 2005.

1. A friend gave us a large potted Hibiscus last week, and it immediately popped two large blossoms. Here's one:

26113042-L.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very Very Nice Pa,

You did good. Processing is good :>)))
    Cheers !!!!!

3. I never get tired of shooting or seeing Hibiscus. Nice detail in the petals!

4. Thanks for the kind comments. This was taken with a D70, 18-70mm "kit" lens, and PP with PS8.0 (CS). I also took several with the 55mm f/1.8, but for some reason they were not as sharply focussed.

I used "spot" metering and shutter priority to maximize DOF and not blowout the highlights.

I'm slowly learning! :wink:

5. That is a really nice looking Hibiscus blossum and you have photographed it well. Red is a hard color to hold highlights on.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent Pa. Just goes to prove that it's the person behind the camera that makes the most difference. :wink:

7. Very nice Pa. I agree with Gordon the red color is the hardest one to reproduce, you have to take the photo out of direct sunlight to prevent having very bad off colors like brown, blue, white.

8. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Nice looking shot, Pa, got a question for you

If you're trying to maximize DOF, why are you using Shutter priority then? Shutter priority automatically selects the Aperture based on what you've set your Shutter speed to. Wouldn't you want to use Aperture priority?

9. Re: Nice looking shot, Pa, got a question for you

I admit it sounds counter-intuitive, but I used shutter priority to set shutter speed at the minimum I thought I should use. Then, I let the automatic exposure program choose the aperture for the iso setting I used. That way, I get the smallest aperture consistent with a hand-held exposure.

10. Actually, I think yellow is just as hard. I nearly tore my hair out trying to get detail into daffodil shots this spring.