Hibiscus

A friend gave us a large potted Hibiscus last week, and it immediately popped two large blossoms. Here's one:

26113042-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks for the kind comments. This was taken with a D70, 18-70mm "kit" lens, and PP with PS8.0 (CS). I also took several with the 55mm f/1.8, but for some reason they were not as sharply focussed.

I used "spot" metering and shutter priority to maximize DOF and not blowout the highlights.

I'm slowly learning! :wink:

Excellent Pa. Just goes to prove that it's the person behind the camera that makes the most difference. :wink:

Very nice Pa. I agree with Gordon the red color is the hardest one to reproduce, you have to take the photo out of direct sunlight to prevent having very bad off colors like brown, blue, white.

Nice looking shot, Pa, got a question for you

Pa said:
Thanks for the kind comments. This was taken with a D70, 18-70mm "kit" lens, and PP with PS8.0 (CS). I also took several with the 55mm f/1.8, but for some reason they were not as sharply focussed.

I used "spot" metering and shutter priority to maximize DOF and not blowout the highlights.

If you're trying to maximize DOF, why are you using Shutter priority then? Shutter priority automatically selects the Aperture based on what you've set your Shutter speed to. Wouldn't you want to use Aperture priority?

Re: Nice looking shot, Pa, got a question for you

Steve S said:
Pa said:
Thanks for the kind comments. This was taken with a D70, 18-70mm "kit" lens, and PP with PS8.0 (CS). I also took several with the 55mm f/1.8, but for some reason they were not as sharply focused.

If you're trying to maximize DOF, why are you using Shutter priority then? Shutter priority automatically selects the Aperture based on what you've set your Shutter speed to. Wouldn't you want to use Aperture priority?

I admit it sounds counter-intuitive, but I used shutter priority to set shutter speed at the minimum I thought I should use. Then, I let the automatic exposure program choose the aperture for the iso setting I used. That way, I get the smallest aperture consistent with a hand-held exposure.

Gilles said:
Very nice Pa. I agree with Gordon the red color is the hardest one to reproduce, you have to take the photo out of direct sunlight to prevent having very bad off colors like brown, blue, white.

Actually, I think yellow is just as hard. I nearly tore my hair out trying to get detail into daffodil shots this spring.

Latest threads

Top Bottom