Critique Hiding from the storm

Ok, I cheated.
I was looking at the same egret image I posted a day or two ago, Egret drying off.
I really liked the image, but it was missing something.
It had been raining, and shortly after I took that image, it rained again.
I thought, gee- it needs rain.
So I added some, from a football picture last year.
Took 10min in photoshop.
Ok, I know it is "fake", but it was almost real.
In print, this looks good to my eye.
Most places I hang images do not ask, and allow manipulation. I never lie, I just do not always tell everything.
Thoughts?
Gary

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
I like this image much better than the one you posted earlier. I agree, the other image seemed somehow "lacking"............

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Nice merge, and this is a nice art image. One caveat, having shot many birds in a rain as heavy as this, there would be a few drops on the wing tips and feather tips, I doubt anyone else would notice since the feathers are wet from the earlier rain. Well done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks so much for the comments and support.
Sometimes the images I see in my mind are not what my camera sees.
There was a time in my photo life I would not change anything. I would not even crop. It made sense to me, made my images somehow correct. It did make me a better photographer. As I studied more, I realized I was limiting myself. I am not doing the news, I am just making art-mostly for me. No one asks a painter if that is really what Whistlers mother looked like, or if that landscape looked exactly like the oil painting. You just enjoy the artwork. So, I am trying to learn how to make my pictures into what my mind sees. The rain is a pretty big addition for me, but looking at this print leaning on my easel, it works. Still learning.
Thanks again
Gary

Awesome picture but I see a few hot spots on my end (minor) but there. I would like some eye contact from the egret. Overall I think its just a cool picture.
Keep on being different.

Your additions make it "art" in my book.

Would it look odd if you flipped the Egret (or the rain) such that the rain & tail feathers were blowing is roughly the same direction? It's hard to visualize, it may screw up the umbrella effect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Phil, since I added the "rain" on a separate layer, I could move it around. I tried the rain more left to right- but as you said I lost the umbrella covering effect. So I chose this.
The feathers are actually wet and just kind of hanging back there- they are not getting blown around. I think we would all do this differently. Thanks for the thoughts.
I learn a lot of how people think about images by posting experiments here.
Thanks all!!
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom