High Cholesterol

Going to the doctor this morning about my HIGH cholesterol. Found out last week, my cholesterol level is 251! OUCH! After reading about it, anything over 240 is very bad and increases chance of heart disease. heart disease runs in my family so this is sort of a wake up call. I'm asking the members of the Cafe to please keep me in your prayers. My goal is to get it down to 150.

Never mind keeping you in our prayers, looks like we're gonna have to keep you in our sights as watchdogs for your chow! *LOL* Guess it's time for a restructuring of the intake. That's very high and hopefully you'll manage to get it down in due course. I'd highly recommend doing it the natural way rather than with new drugs which also have side effects. Lowering just the cholestrol level doesn't answer all sorts of other issues - proper diet will. Not preaching, just trying to help. Your new mantra: green leafy, green leafy, green leafy *LOL* Take care and we're all pulling for ya!

Bryan,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. If patrick or I can do anything, please don't hesitate to ask.

Never mind keeping you in our prayers, looks like we're gonna have to keep you in our sights as watchdogs for your chow! *LOL* Guess it's time for a restructuring of the intake. That's very high and hopefully you'll manage to get it down in due course. I'd highly recommend doing it the natural way rather than with new drugs which also have side effects. Lowering just the cholestrol level doesn't answer all sorts of other issues - proper diet will. Not preaching, just trying to help. Your new mantra: green leafy, green leafy, green leafy *LOL* Take care and we're all pulling for ya!

Thanks Sandi,

And yes, I want to avoid cholesterol lowering drugs. I am 31 years old and with a proper diet and exercise I think I can get it down. I have not touched a cheeseburger or anything fatty since I found out the bad news! Thank again, and yes green leafy, green leafy, green leafy!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Hi Bryan, I have had cholesterol in that range for my entire life with no adverse affects. I would avoid medication like the plague as the cure is worse than the problem. At least you know and can watch your diet. High cholesterol just runs in some families regardless of diet. My mother-in-law is 90 and has the same problem as does my wife. I know of no one that does a better job of watching what she eats than my wife. In their family there are significant numbers of them that are over 90 and some over 100. Cholesterol in my opinion (and that of many doctors and medical studies) is overblown. Now that said I hope that you will watch your diet and that it will have an effect on lowering your cholesterol. With a family history of heart disease you need to stack all the odds in your favor. Excercise is also a good way to build up protection for you. I walk four miles every single morning and it makes you feel great. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

PhotoDawg said:
[
Thanks Sandi,

And yes, I want to avoid cholesterol lowering drugs. I am 31 years old and with a proper diet and exercise I think I can get it down. I have not touched a cheeseburger or anything fatty since I found out the bad news! Thank again, and yes green leafy, green leafy, green leafy!!! :D :D :D :D :D

Whoah there!! Thirty one and that high? You need substantial life changes. My colleague's husband as well as I start each day with oatmeal, no matter what. He had about the same level as you and has drastically lowered it in a year. Quaker makes a an instant with low sugar, in a blue box. I mix it with raisins and a banana.

As far as other mesaures you need to get into a habit of looking at the labels on the food containers. And when you have the leafy green salad, look at the dressing bottle. If you slather it with a nice creamy cheese dressing, etc. you're not helping yourself.

Good luck!

Rich.

PGB

Ditto to what Leigh said.

We need to get out and shoot when the weather gets better. Nothing like a little exercise with the camera for your health. :)

Thanks Gordon, Rich, and Patrick!!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

YUMMY!! Everyone has been telling me that oatmeal is a good way to lower cholesterol. That sounds like a good breakfast.

I just got back from the doctor and he did not want to give me any cholesterol lowering drugs. He wanted me to stay away from drive thru windows. He gave me a bunch of good information on what to eat and what not to eat. He told me to exercises...............you know.....he is starting to sound like my Mom. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

He also told me to get some Fish Oil tablets from the local pharmacy and take two a day. I got some blood work done that will be undergoing a VAP test to measure all the different good/bad cholesterol's in my body.

http://www.thevaptest.com/

I have been eating right now for a week (fruits, vegetables, etc) only taking in 1200 to 1500 calories/day. Also, staying away from any fatty foods. I actually feel much better with some direction.

Thanks again everyone!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Brian

You're gonna be strong with that diet it's going to be tough,but one advise let the doctor first examine you perhaps there are special eating habits that you can't continue

Don't want to upset you but this story is mine
had a stroke when I was 37 High cholesterol and smoking over weight etc. etc.
I came out lucky drove to the nearest doctor and in the ambulance to the hospital was in time to avoid serious damage.
Ever since then I'm taking four different drugs one of them is cholesterol lowering and it helps, I know myself to well a diet is to strict.
Still smoking,I know not good,can't stop tried everything
Lost 25kilos!! and keeping in shape(NENA)
Don't have any side effects of the drugs ,take them to avoid the risk and have an annual check -up it's going great.

All the best of luck be strong not only you but your whole family.

Brian

You're gonna be strong with that diet it's going to be tough,but one advise let the doctor first examine you perhaps there are special eating habits that you can't continue

Don't want to upset you but this story is mine
had a stroke when I was 37 High cholesterol and smoking over weight etc. etc.
I came out lucky drove to the nearest doctor and in the ambulance to the hospital was in time to avoid serious damage.
Ever since then I'm taking four different drugs one of them is cholesterol lowering and it helps, I know myself to well a diet is to strict.
Still smoking,I know not good,can't stop tried everything
Lost 25kilos!! and keeping in shape(NENA)
Don't have any side effects of the drugs ,take them to avoid the risk and have an annual check -up it's going great.

All the best of luck be strong not only you but your whole family.

Hans....thanks for the MOTIVATION!!! :) :) :) :)

It is scarey.....my uncle had a stroke in his mid-30's too which left him limping on his right side. I am glad to hear that NENA has helped you out with the weight. My goal is eat right, exercise, and get down to 175 (I am 220 now) in 6 months just in time for my next VAP test. :D :D :D

Well dawg,

I ain't goin to lecture. All the advice sounds great for all of us.

Stay well, shoots lots. Love your company around here.

:>)))))))))))))))))))

Real Name
Chris
Hey Dawg, I'm taking in the advice you're getting as if it were sent to me. I also have high blood pressure, blood sugar and weight. I'm going on a (nice & easy) hike this weekend to begin my new lifestyle (well, there are some hedonistic pleasures I won't give up, but some of them count as exercise! ;) .)

I'm with you: Loose 50lbs by the end of summer! And that alone should help all the other stuff. :)

Hey Dawg, I'm taking in the advice you're getting as if it were sent to me. I also have high blood pressure, blood sugar and weight. I'm going on a (nice & easy) hike this weekend to begin my new lifestyle (well, there are some hedonistic pleasures I won't give up, but some of them count as exercise! .)

I'm with you: Loose 50lbs by the end of summer! And that alone should help all the other stuff.

Thanks Chris!! I with you too......nice and easy!! Have fun on your hike and good luck to you in your new lifestyle adventure!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

Just in case you want more advice, here's mine. For some reason, my HDL's (the good cholesterol) have always been high. Neither of my parents have high HDL's and although I have never seen any scientific evidence to back my theory up, I think my high HDL's are because I eat a lot of beans. They are one of my favorite foods and are very low in fat. If all else fails, you might want to try them.

Hmmmm.... yes, that is a bit high... but you can get it under control. High cholesterol and high blood pressure are the main reasons I cut back substantially on computer time. And that means sitting and editing pictures, staying too long on forums etc. I had to literally make myself do it. Now I visit here (and there) for short periods, then I'm up and gone to do something more active.
In your case the good news is you now know about it and can correct it.
Good luck!
Jarrell

Real Name
Chris
NANCY said:
although I have never seen any scientific evidence to back my theory up, I think my high HDL's are because I eat a lot of beans. They are one of my favorite foods and are very low in fat. If all else fails, you might want to try them.

Beans, beans, the magical fruit ...

Ah, nevermind. :twisted:

maybe to encourage the dawg, we could all try and eat healthier one day at a time...i know i'd like to leave a few pounds by the way side myself...come on everyone....let's cheer together...

"FOR THE DAWG! FOR THE DAWG! FOR THE DAWG!!! YEAH!!!"

Latest threads

Top Bottom