high ISO, club concerts, D2x...

Discussion in 'People' started by vieri, Mar 22, 2007.

1. I have been shooting a few club concerts lately - very low light, experimental electronic music, the D2x and the huge help of the 70-200 VR. Here some shots:

ISO 400, f2.8, 1/8 sec 82mm handheld;

ISO 400, f2.8, 1/3 sec 125mm handheld;

ISO 400, f3.2, 1/10 sec 200mm handheld;

band site: www.soqrmom.com

reverie falls on all:
    ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, 70mm handheld;

ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, 110mm handheld;

ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, 170mm handheld;

ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, 200mm handheld;

ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, 120mm handheld;

ISO 800, f4, 1/2 sec, 12mm handheld;

10.5mm fisheye
    ISO 800, f2.8, 1/4 sec, handheld;

band site: www.reveriefallsonall.com

I think the D2x performed quite well given the circumstances. C&C, as always, are very welcome.
  2. Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like the images
    Great mood
    Good job on these
  3. Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Man the lighting really sucked didn't it...but you did a great job working with it.
  4. Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    That's wild! Powerbook as instrument! The light from the screens made for great added color to offset the orangy stage lighting. Great job.
  5. Oh, I do like these. What a great job you did with some tricky lighting and the angles - good stuff!
  6. cuss2much

cuss2much Guest

7. Excellent work Vieri............ can't see any drum kits though? Or guitars?????????? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

These are actually quite intense, as the artists seem completely lost in their work............. the lgihting and darkness of the images convey to me a very "close" feel, if you have any idea what I'm trying to say.

Great work............... :eek:

8. JD Photography

JD Photography

Aug 4, 2006
    amazing work! i love the lighting at this venue..very neat!
  9. Ottrott's Human

Ottrott's Human

May 21, 2006
    #2 is simply unbelievable.
  10. tomj

Feb 5, 2006
    Wonderful images Vieri.

I love the cool contrast that the powerbook displays add to the otherwise warm tones of these shots.
  11. Thank you Gale! :smile:

Hey thank you Seneca, you are quite right about the light - not the best ever, so to speak... :wink:

Chris, thank you very much :smile: yes indeed a strange view, a concert for computer & computer... I am glad you enjoyed the use of the (mixed) light, thanks for commenting! :biggrin:

Ray, thanks a lot! :smile: not an easy light, but - one has to make do with what is available sometimes :biggrin: thanks again!

Thank you very much! :smile: I am glad you enjoyed!

Hello Graeme, indeed - no drums, no guitars (to be honest, the second group's kids had one each and even used them at one point...), but very interesting (& loud!) sounds coming out of those laptops - dense frequence use, amazing electronic sounds - I agree wtih your remark about the athmosphere & the close feel: the size of the clubs, the light, the artist's concentration, the kind of music played, puttin this all together did create a feeling of musical intimacy so to speak between artists and public: I am very happy if this could come through in my pics :redface: thank you for... thinking alike, I guess :wink: and for your comments - as always my friend! :biggrin:

JD, thank you very much! I am glad you enjoyed :biggrin:

Hey Stu, thank you very much! :smile:

Thank you Tom! :smile: in this low & quite bad light, I though it was a very interesting chance the computer screens gave me for both lighting them and do so in a contrasting way with the ambient light... I am glad you found it worked out, thanks for commenting! :smile:
  12. Great job Vieri. I love the intensity that comes forth in the way that they are glued to their work, especially in #4 and #5.
  13. biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Excellent job there.
  14. Thank you Roy! Indeed they were totally into what they were doing :smile: I am glad I could pass that through to the viewer :biggrin:

Thank you very much, your comment is much appreciated :smile:
  15. dtbh

Mar 9, 2006
    Wow! Handheld at such low shuttle speeds! Great work Vieri. Love this series.
  16. From 1/8 to 1/2 second exposure times hand held? Wow you have incredible steady. Thats a lotta camera and lens to hold still for so long. Well done.
  17. The lighting in this type of shot is what make's the shot, and you have captured it well!

18. snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    for that kind of light, wow, great job... even if there was good light, they would still be Wow. Well done.
  19. :smile: Banhup, indeed very slow shutterspeed - VR did help a lot though! :biggrin: I am glad you enjoyed, thanks for commenting!

Thank you very much! Yes, I think my hands are pretty steady but VR did indeed help a lot :biggrin:

Thank you very much Mike, I am glad ou enjoyed what I could make of what light was available... :biggrin:

Thank you very much! :biggrin: your comment is very much appreciated, I am glad you enjoyed :smile: