1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

High ISO D300 B&W Portrait

Discussion in 'People' started by Firestorm_westy, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Hi all,

Playing with natural light photos of the kids today, and got this shot of Caitlin (and 'Annabell'!)

Shot with the D300 at ISO 800 (!)... I think it gives it a 'film grain' feel that I kind of like.

I welcome your thoughts on the shot.

Paul

348931222_Jysi8-L.
    NIKON D300    ---    95mm    f/5.3    1/40s    ISO 800

2. i like the shot, paul
    i like caitlin's expression
    annabell, for better or worse, takes CENTER STAGE here
    because of her size and relative distance to the lens
    i'm not thrilled with that... but, caitlin might be

the lighting and post-processing is pleasing to MY eyes

3. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    I wouldn't consider ISO 800 "high" especially on d300, but it's a darn fine portrait!

4. Very nice picture of the young lady.

It looks as if you took the shot while she was playing with the doll. Did you take other shots before she noticed you? I think I might prefer one in which she would be still playing.

Thanks for sharing.

5. No I don't, sorry... She actually asked to have the doll in the shot!

Paul

6. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    That's a keeper for sure. And don't be afraid of that ISO, you can use 1600 with no issues at all on that camera.

7. As I am finding out! With all the high ISO hype around the D3 (which is deserved), I wasn't sure the D300 would handle so well at these speeds.

I am very pleasently suprised....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.