High ISO Football Shots

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mike mac, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Shot the first half of a H.S football game tonight with my D2X with the new firmware. Let me tell you the high ISO is amazingly better. The AF seems to track better too, so here are a few shots three at 1600 ISO and one at ISO 3200
    ISO 3200
    [​IMG]
    ISO 1600
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Mike,

My initial impression of your images is that I am totally impressed with the detail, lack of noise and how well the camera (post-processing) dealt with the low light situation. The action is frozen well with an absolute minimum of blur. Were these shot with the camera switched to the lower mega-pixel setting? How much cropping was applied? I assume that they were shot using aperture priority but at what aperture? Shutter speed? Sorry to ask so many questions...but I need to buy another digital body someday and maybe the X is the way to go.

3. Frank
    Thanks these shot 12 MP on the D2X using the 70-200 VR Crops were about 50 percent. I shot these on manual with the f-stop at 2.8 and the shutter speed 320 at 1600 and 400s at 3200. No flash was used shot on a mono-pod. this is my last night football game of the year the next two will be day games...

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well I hope that you are pleased with tonight's shoot...the images look great. If I can ever get the athletes/parents to begin buying some of my images, perhaps someday I can get my very own X and have some better luck shooting in high ISO situations. Thanks for answering my q's....

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

great shots Mike... I wish I could have shot our local HS team tonight, they were playing the school I graduated from 31 years ago... But I had to work. :frown:

6. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Hmmm, my Hs doesnt seem amazingly better at high ISOs after the firmware.
    I wonder how much this has closed the gap...

7. Well I think these look great.

What I want to know is, how do you get such great shots at those shutter speeds? Did you have VR turned on?

I did only two sports shoots recently, and my first ever. My kid playing soccer. And I found it difficult to consistently get good sharp results. And this was in daylight, with shutter speeds well over 1000.

Would be interesting to try again with the new firmware. And with a monopod. I did mine hand held.

8. Having just shot a night football game Mike, I did not fare that well. You have some really nice images here, just wish mine were as good. I was afraid to go above ISO800 because of the noise so I have many shots that contain some blur.

9. Simply sensationnal ...

10. Well not much left of the season I have two day games left a JV game this Saturday and the Thaksgiving home coming for the seniors

11. I tell you what Twig I am amazed at the increase in high iso shots with the X, a vig jump in useability

12. Yes I shot these with VR on and the mono pod makes a world of differnece. To be honest I shoot with a mono pod on any lens above my 70-20VR. Als set your AF to AF-C and the focus slector to dynamic focus the second from the bottom

13. I to never wanted to shoot above ISO800 but with the new firmware I was goign to give a try I was amazed at how clean the 1600 shots looked so I tried the 3200 and was blown away at how useable it was, of course i have no more night ftball games but do have basketball startign soon

14. Thanks Yves I apprecaite the kidn words

15. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I have to ask, why wouldn't you try a higher ISO? Sports photos have always been done at high ISO by most phototogs because of poor lighting.
    Heck I remember back in high school pushing Tri-X to 1600 and still having to use a old Honeywell 800 or 880 strobe for some games just to get shots.
    The noise or grain can add to the sports photos. (or at least in my opinion)
    Noise is much more desirable than blur in most cases.

Dave

16. I think it has been a psychological barrier for me. I have never even tried anything over ISO800 and even then I don't like the resulting noise. Neither the D100 or the D2H is great at higher ISO's. However, I will give it a try next time I am in a position where I need it. Thanks for the nudge Dave.:wink:

17. Well done Mike!!
    I just recently shot my first HS football - not easy :eek: :eek:
    Also, my experience was in broad daylight. I can imagine that a night game is that much harder (less the NFL quality lighting :biggrin: :biggrin: ). You must be very happy with your results.