1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

High ISO HS Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GeoffBolte, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Well covered a HS girls soccer game last night was supposed to start at 6PM, but was a day long festival of games, and was running late. So instead of getting some decent golden hour light I got twilight and night shots.

Still happy with how everything turned out, feeling better and better about the D300. Would have flashed it if I wasn't worried about the weather changing quickly, but dealt with it.

D300, 300mm 2.8 @ 2.8, M, 1/500th-1/1250th SS, ISO 800-6400 AWB, no DLighting.
    For PP, crop, level adjustments if needed, slight curves, Noise Ninja, image resize and USM 75-100 .5 1.

1. ISO 800
    GCB_2014.

2. ISO 1600
    GCB_2141.

3. ISO 1600
    GCB_2196.

4. ISO 3200
    GCB_2315.

5. ISO 4000
    GCB_2438.

6. ISO 4000
    GCB_2440.

7. ISO 6400
    GCB_2529.

2. GeorgeV

GeorgeV

Aug 7, 2008
    Niles
    Were those shot under lights?

3. Oldtime

Oldtime

Jul 5, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Nice shots Geoff- really nice for high ISO must be a better than average HS field

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    These are nice. That 6400 ISO shot is impressively clean of noise.

Besides the ISO and other settings, these are good shots. Well composed, sharp..good timing.

5. These were under lights.
    It was a little better than average. 4 light stantions on each side with 8 lights on each. The HS football I shot the night before (Wet and Wild Sports...) was 2 on each side with about 10 lights on each.
    Yeah I will post a non Noise Ninja shot in due time, they came out pretty good as well. Just wanted to see if I had the NN dialed in correctly. Looks as though I did.

Thanks for the compliments.

6. Kurt

Kurt

May 30, 2006
    North Boston, NY
    I see what you mean, the D300 does appear to handle noise quite well. nice looking shots

7. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Very well done, Geoff. I haven't shot my D300 over 1600 ISO yet, but I'm now feeling better about it when I do. :biggrin:

8. Thanks Chris
    It does, not as well as the D3, but will work as I can't see upgrading to the D3 and 400 2.8.

Thanks Jim, it is nice knowing that they don't all look bad. Although there are some that lose the clarity and show some noise reduction even before PP. As the D300 does do a little Noise reduction in camera on the high ISOs.

9. Geoff,

4-7 appear to have a blue cast to them, probably due to the stadium lighting and the higher ISO abilities of the D300. What do you think?

10. Yeah they do, i'll go see what I can do with them real quick. Should have a repost in 10.

11. 4-7 should be a little better. Did a quick PS job on them to remove the cast.
    It was because of the lights and the High ISO of the D300, also didn't help that I was shooting AWB. Need to remember bring my BalanceSmarter tool with me.

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    your what tool ?

I've never got 3200+ shots to look that good, so, that's impressive.

13. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
  14. Yeah it is. Just has an secondary brand. Lastolite is on one side of the holder and Balancesmarter on the other. It is a Will Crockett creation, one of the founders if not the founder of Shootsmarter.com

15. My issue has been setting custom WB using a coffee filter, yes I'm cheap but it works! So this would be much more expensive than 100 filters for $3.50, but I could get white and grey card balance in one solution. Does it work very well with say a 400mm or 70-200?

16. Ahh the coffee filter technique. Would seem to work,with the balancesmarter for the 400 I am not sure, I have used my 70-200 indoors with it. Haven't tried it outside in a stadium setting yet, so am unsure on it. Works pretty good. At least a consistent setting over AWB so you can tweak if needed. Feel its meant more for the studio industry but you can work it for sports.

17. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Geoff, these look real good with such high iso.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.