High Jump

I still lack the sharpness I am looking for, but happy with the angle and position.

Thanks
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Perhaps stopping down to f/4 or so. @ ISO 1000 and 1/2500 I think you have a bit of room.

I was on AF-C and S focus priority.
Dynamic AF 9 points.

I did try to lock on the bar and hold the AF button, but that did not work so good. Probably just my error in attempting it.

Yeah, I need to remember I don't need to shoot 2.8 all the time. For some reason I get it stuck in my head. I was reading about DOF the other night, but still working on technique. I have been following everyone's advice about reading the histogram and attempting to get good exposure. I need to read more about the meter settings and when to use them. I played with the 3 settings last night, but never really seen a big difference.

thanks for looking

I still lack the sharpness I am looking for, but happy with the angle and position.
I wonder if this is one place where not being quite so tight might add more to the picture so you could see that they are high up, see more of the bar, etc... You sure got the timing right though.

Adjusted

Jfriend,

I cropped it pretty tight. Here is a little less crop. nothing around it really grabbed my eye the first time.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Can someone give a quick idea on how they size up their distance versus what aperture they are going to shoot at?

Maybe I should rephrase. When you are setting up and considering your DOF, what are some of the things you factor in to make a decision on which aperture to use?

I have seen this before and to be honest, I don't get exactly what it means. I get that the total depth of field as it increased will show more in focus behind the subject. I also see that the closer you are the less depth of field you will have with the same settings.

But, what I don't get is why my sharpness is affected by all of this? And also, how can I use this to help me decide how far away I should try to set up and how to make changes to my settings, to try and improve my sharpness.

I do understand how it effects the depth of field and how much I want to see in my background.

Thanks for the link

what I don't get is why my sharpness is affected by all of this?
Because sharpness = in focus, no?

Use: How far away am I going to be? What focal length will I be using? => Therefore to get, say, 2m of dof I will need to use this aperture setting (worked out from dof calculator).

Or : I want to use f2.8 and 200mm FL and I want 1.5m of dof, calc how far away you should be (though that scenario isn't as likley as the first?)

Print a field calculator out from here: http://www.dofmaster.com/custom.html

Latest posts

Top Bottom