High-key with no lighting equipement

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Philippe Roger, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Here is a shot of our cat Spike, lounging on top of the monitor (it's warm there!). The background went to pure white simply because I spot metered on the kittie, and had some back-lighting through the office window: it was bad, low light, but still, stronger than the one inside... and that's all it took, even on a dark and rainy day! :eek:

The stats are: D70 + 17-55, ISO800, 26mm f/2.8 at 1/8s, no flash, hand-held. Post-processed with ACR. I thought it came out pretty nice, considering the shot parameters (I was experimenting more than really planning a shoot)!

16148865-L.

2. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Yes, not bad for no flash. But I do see a lot of blur from the face and down through the paws (foreground). Doesn't look like movement blur (except maybe the tongue) as dof. Work on getting good dof and you'll have a winner shot! I suspect that you already knew this.

3. Larry,

Larry,

Thanks for your comment about DOF. However, since I was at f/2.8 ISO800 and 1/8s (hand-held), I don't think I could have reasonably gotten any more DOF without setting up a tripod and/or adding some light! :D

4. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    You are correct about f2.8. The first time I read it I took it as a f2.8 lens (reading fast) over your actual f/stop. Well, that is the challenge to get "great" photography. So many times it still holds to be right place, right time, and a whole lot of luck. The lighting situation makes for a good lesson point.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Philippe,
    That's the biggest cat I've ever seen.. and good shot of it along with interesting stats about your shot, f/number and no flash....
    How would it have looked if you'd put focus on the face?

Your cat looks almost as big as the panther I took at the zoo two weeks ago.

How do Bailey and this kitty get along?

Gaye

6. Hi Gaye,

Hi Gaye,

Thanks for your interest in the cat and in the picture. Sorry for not replying earlier: lots going on at work and on the home front, in other words not enough time to hang out at the Cafe...

Spike is actually not a big cat at all, but his proportions are somewhat unusual: he is a very long cat, as this "yard-o-cat" picture shows. As for focusing on his face, I still would have missed because he moved the whole head, not just the tongue, during the licking... and f/2.8 gives a really narrow DOF, but I couldn't go any lower on the shutter speed.

Belle is actually pretty good with all the cats, but she does not really realize how big and how strong she is compared to the kittens in particular. She'd never hurt them, intentionally, but she can be rough at times. Overall, they are all doing pretty well. I hope to catch one of the kitten licking Belle's face: that is pretty cute! :D

6048577-L.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Philippe,
    That is one very long and interesting looking kitty cat :!: :) And that brings up the question of how many cats are there in your house?

I'm sure Belle has a ball with all of them and cats/kittens are so agile that they can probably do alright with Belle's playfulness.

I'll be looking for more Belle/kitty pictures. You certainly have lots of models lying around for you.

Best to you,
    Gaye

I still think this long cat looks like the Florida Panther :lol:

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Phillipe,

It is shots like this that help us learn and grow as photogs. I followed the blur / DOF dscussion above with great interest. I have tried completely different shutter speed / aperature setting on shots in the past, just to see this effect.

Beautiful kitty BTW. Interesting coloring on her coat.

Regards,

Frank

9. Hi Gaye,

We have one dog, Belle, and 4 indoors cats plus an occasional feral family of 3 visiting once in a while (and we put up food for them). Quite a menagerie, huh? Larry Gleason, here, has us all beat, with 4 dogs and 4 cats!

2 of the 4 cats, Spike featured in this thread, and his brother Pinky (pink paws and all) are pure-bred Abyssinian: we adopted them after the office manager of the place where I used to work left and they became too much to handle for an office; yes, they were office cats (don't ask me)...

The other 2 are kittens from the feral mother (she's around with her two elder children), which we took in after they finished nursing, and we domesticated them. We also got the 3 feral cats "fixed" so we don't end up with 100s of cats in our backyard in short order! :wink:

You can see plenty of pics of everyone in my galleries: http://proger.smugmug.com

You've got that right, of course, but there is an occasional skirmish and/or hissing session with the Abby brothers... :)

Yes, he does. Actually he looks a lot like a miniature mountain lion. He is a "ruddy" (black overcoat), whereas his brother is a "red". Abyssinian can also come with a blue overcoat...

Anyway, here is a kitten picture for you.
    13260605-L.