1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

High Noon Flash Showdown - Vintage Cars

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by Kevin_d50, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Had a go at using manual exposure with manual flash on Sunday.
    Cars in the Park was our local event - vintages, classics, and whichever other categories may exist :) 

High noon - showdown at the Car Corral

Many cars were parked under carports, but with the sun hitting them from either the front or back. Specular highlights were harsh. I used the onboard wide angle diffuser on the SB-600 to soften the flash on the cars.

#1 - Even though there is dust on this one (not sensor dust - lol) I'm posting it to show the activity that was generated at the event. Cars milling about, people all around the exhibits, kicking up dust aplenty. This emphasises the memory for me.

cipDSC_4545ns-1.

Slight PP applied top left to render the carport roof to black, and to bring the light toward the front.

#2 - Direct sunlight - Set the D50 to max synch speed (1/500s), stopped down the aperture to f/8, and popped in manual flash at 1/64. Added some blue to the skies in PP to enhance the colour play of white against blue.

cipDSC_4566.

#3 - I was quite surprised by how reliable and how good the manual exposures worked. With all the chrome (not the modern day plastic stuff we see nowadays) and brass, I was fearing highlights blowing all over the place. There was the odd specular highlight here 'n there, but based on the subjects in hand, I was quite pleased with the outcomes. Dropped the exposure in PP here to darken the upper part and bring back detail on the lamp.

cipDSC_4588ns.

#4 - Adjusted exposure top left and faded to black to bring the light up front into focus. Note the skies on the right, that's the correct exposure the manual combo provided at time of shooting.

cipDSC_4549ns.

I wanted to use off camera flash, but with the crowds milling about, was scared of the flash landing up in pieces on the ground from someone bumping a tripod over, so stuck to on camera.

Still learning this manual thing - *sigh*
    --
    Kevin - Photos 'n Prose: http://the-photo-muse.blogspot.com/

2. Nice shots Kevin ......... I think I need to learn the manual thing as well.... always seem to have blown highlights. Thanks for posting.

Regards,

3. Thank you Bob!
    It's scary as heck, but somehow (luck I think) ;)  got a decent result here 'n there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.